Save songs from Qobuz locally on the RoonCore

I use Roon almost exclusively in conjunction with Qobuz and use it to stream to my devices.
I also like to use Qobuz directly on my PC with the Qobuz app. The app allows me to save music directly to my PC. This gives me a much better sound result than if the same piece is only streamed.

I would therefore suggest that this function should also be offered in Roon, i.e. to save songs from Qobuz locally on the RoonCore. Then the good sound could be even better.

2 Likes

Qobuz does not allow for this on anything other than their native app. It is therefore impossible for Roon to implement this.

4 Likes

Are you sure that you have Music Playing settings in the Qobuz app set to the full quality?

Strictly speaking, that option is already offered, although it’s a two-step.

1. You purchase those tracks from Qobuz and get files playable outside of Qobuz app with an active account.
  2. You import them into your local Roon library.

All done.

1 Like

Actually that’s not true both Melco and Innuos allow you to download purchases from Qobuz. They are limited to the one file at a time scenario but it does work. But as pointed out you can’t download for offline use from its streaming platform.

1 Like

You cannot download streaming files outside of their own apps. No application allows this due to the strict copyright and rights protection. Only files purchased and downloaded from Qobuz can be used outside of their app.

1 Like

To prevent piracy, the record labels are very strict in their music licenses with streaming services. Qobuz is able to save files locally for offline playback, but they are required to encrypt the files so that they can only be decrypted by Qobuz’s own app. Even if Roon has access to Qobuz offline files, it would not be able to decrypt and play the files.

That’s interesting. And makes sense. Do you know if the file sizes are compressed for offline listening?

2 Likes

Since FLAC is already compressed data, there may not be much room for further compression. I wouldn’t be surprised if encrypted offline files are actually slightly larger than the original.

Interesting; I wasn’t aware that Qobuz offline listening files were flac. Is there a way to view format [and size] on iPhone?

What they are depends on the settings off the Qobuz app

Yes, I know that. Am wondering whether you can actually see the file in the iPhone storage itself [ie, size, format bit/sample rate, etc]

1 Like

Well you said that

I was just clarifying that they don’t have to be. They are whatever the setting is at time of download.

They are encrypted, so no.

But the Qobuz app tells you their format. Top left the online format (hires). In the track list it shows mp3 because I changed the download format to this

Thanks. As to settings, I see bit/sample rate and mp3 and cd quality and hi-res but no mention of flac but they could be

1 Like

If they are CD quality or above, what else would they be?

Ok, theoretically they could be WAV, AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, I suppose

Yes. Trust–but verify!

1 Like

Hi again

Just compared album I’d purchased to the Qobuz version downloaded for offline on iPhone and the latter is slightly > MB. [Maybe the encryption?]

Encryption doesn’t inherently increase file size but usually it does in practice anyway. Depends on the cipher as well.

Plus there is no guarantee that purchased files are exactly the same as the streaming version.

Anyway, if the difference isn’t orders of magnitude (like between mp3 and FLAC) then personally I would rather listen to music than obsessing about irrelevant stuff.

I don’t obsess about such stuff but if you’re ever interested in hearing the best recorded music just follow me on Twitter!

Thanks. I’m into listening to the best music (in my 100% personal opinion that doesn’t necessarily agree with anyone else :slight_smile: ) not to the best recordings. I appreciate good recordings, obviously, but music wins every time

1 Like