Scroll not functioning on trackpad with Magic Keyboard on 4th gen iPad Pro

Is this some kind of joke? A complete UI overhaul and you can’t manage to get the trackpad GESTURES working on an iPad Pro? Free apps like Volumio have supported gestures since launch, and yet here we are almost a year later with a very expensive subscription charge and no trackpad. Completely unacceptable.

3 Likes

You would think that they had modernized the underlying technology as well but alas, it’s still this multi platform hog called Xamarin which apparently needs extra love to make native functionality work.

@noris Hi Noris, hope you’re keeping well. In the recent build 778 of Roon, I am surprised to see we haven’t fix the scrolling behaviour on Apple’s trackpad. Could we seriously look into this? This would definitely bring a better overall user experience for those on iPad using the Magic Keyboard. Please make this a priority and hope to see this fixed in the next Roon release. Many thanks.

Do you have any updates? Thanks

@noris Benjamin puts it far more politely than Roon deserves. It is coming up to a full year since I started this thread. The iPad Pro trackpad is not some esoteric, edge-case piece of hardware. This is a genuine apple product used by millions of iPad Pro owners and for many, like me, was the main reason for purchasing that model of iPad. I cannot find a single app on my iPad that does not support gestures on this trackpad. And yet despite Roon being by far the most expensive yearly subscription I pay for any service, there has not even been any indication of a timetable for release never mind actual support. This isn’t a nice feature request, this is basic hardware support and neglecting to support this functionality for this long is unforgivable.

6 Likes

Maybe the devs haven’t the technical ability to accomplish this, roon doesn’t even have lockscreen controls on iOS devices. It was a feature request back in 2016, not sure why it needed to be a request in the first place, all the other music apps I use have it.

Overall though and in my opinion roon is still the greatest piece of software ever created to manage and play music, it’s a complex beast indeed. Just needs some iOS love and attention.

4 Likes

Another recent Roon updates and still no fix on the scrolling behavior of the Apple Magic Keyboard! Seriously can we seriously look at this matter? Thank you.

2 Likes

Yup. iPadOS support is pretty dismal.

2 Likes

Just seen your post. Are you saying the Roon remote only works in landscape mode on the iPad? Is this size dependent? Was looking into buying a used one to use as a remote and this would bug me too.

I have not renewed my Roon subscription as a direct result of their failure to support this.

To be fair, their customer services did get in contact about it. But they admitted they don’t even have a timeline for a fix.

This is not a feature request, this is basic hardware (trackpad) support. I’m sure Roon couldn’t care less about losing me as a customer, but until I can use Roon on my preferred device I’m not paying for a subscription.

4 Likes

Oh dear I am sorry to hear that! At this stage I am considering sending an email to the CEO, nothing to loose and may shake things up a bit. Cheers!

No, thats not it. iPad app can display and control Roon in 0° Portraitmode, and 90° & 270° Landscape mode but not in 180° Portrait mode.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

We don’t have anything to announce at this time, but we are grateful for the feedback we’ve received so far and will continue to monitor the number of requests to add support for Magic Keyboard/Trackpads.

Thanks!

Thank you Dylan, appreciate the updates. Is it something at least you’re planning to update in the near future? There’s a big community of Apple users who love and use Roon everyday and we should be supporting this feature in the next upcoming release. Thanks for your support.

On April 22nd, it was exactly one year since the first request for Roon to correct this problem. They never gave due attention, unfortunately. I love Roon but not solving a basic problem like this is unforgivable. But I’m still waiting.

1 Like

+1, very distracting implementation. I have even switched back to the traditional iPad cover without keyboard in between, but this is obviously not a solution to the problem.

2 Likes

+1… seriously I think there’s at least 100+ Apple users and fans of Roon who are struggling everyday so we say it’s time to support this… happy to be a BETA tester :blush:.

1 Like

Oh, dang. I missed this thread before and started another thread. I have the same problem with the new iPad Pro 12.9 2021 (5th gen) and latest Magic Keyboard. This makes for a really crappy user experience. Ugh.

As I understand it, Roon use some kind of outdated and bloated framework to develop their apps and unlike every other developer on the planet, they’ve found that trackpad gesture support is a challenge too far.

Let me know if that changes and I will restart my subscription as soon as :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

Yeah, this is just silly that the trackpad is a fail for Roon. Everything else I have on iPad OS just works correctly in that regard. More reason to stop spending money on Roon. Lack of album label search in Qobuz being another