Search is Extremely Poor

Nope - global search is a Cloud service…

Nope - global search is a Cloud service…

I am just saying that i did not switch cores. You had indicated that switching cores impacted the search.

In any event, search is awful. let’s focus on the problem!

1 Like

You indicated that you had “taken your laptop on the road”, which I assumed meant taking it outside the reach of your home network. In any event. I’ll stop this now.

I specifically said search was a ROCK issue. The lack of portability of playlists and radio stations was the only “on the road” issue. Both remain issues.

1 Like

Why stop short of some advice? What is the easiest way to synch and take my regular database (stations, playlists) with me on any full roon device?

Backup on one, restore on the other. You would need all of your local music files as well if you want them whilst travelling.

I’m not sure what happened either. I thought that I had read there were 2 solutions. One for streaming and one for local and they were replacing with one solution based on ElasticSearch. Having implemented elasticsearch on several projects using petebytes of data. I am surprised by both the lack of fuzzy search results and the incredibly slow response. Granted I know nothing of the size of the data being searched. Today, for me, search
H response time and accuracy is poor. That said, as mentioned in a previous post I’m not leaving Roon - by and large I love it

I searched “Money” in my NUC-based Roon app and it gave all the Eddie Money stuff in Tidal, Dire Straits “Money for Nothin’”, Ricky Lee Jones “Easy Money” and a squillion other things, and all of the versions I have of Floyd’s Money, and even the version from Dub Side of the Moon (in my Nucleus+ library).
Searching for “Pink Floyd Money” got precisely that up first, as I would expect.
We need to manage expectations.

Should I try searching the winning numbers of the lottery, and be royally PO’d if I don’t get them.

3 Likes

I just had my first bad experience with Roon search last week. There is a test disc on Tidal that I wanted to use. I typed in the whole name ,letter for letter ,and came up with zero results. I had to go into the Tidal app and add the CD to a playlist and then open the playlist in Roon. There was no other way.

I hope I’m not repeating something that has already been said, but tI found two very different results as demonstrated below. To start, I went to the “HOME” page and used the search icon in the upper right corner of the page and typed in “money.” This gave me results as demonstrated below (see red arrow)…

I then pushed the “records on a shelf icon” (my description, not Roon’s) and discovered the following…

Completely different results, but more in line with what you might have initially been searching for.

alas, one should not need to be so specific - and syntactically correct. It sucks comparatively to any other service.

This echoes my thoughts as well. Ive developed software in my past and know how hard it is. I don’t expect it to be Google. But I’ve had many head scratching search moments where I can find the song on tidal or Spotify and have to try 3-4 permutations in bizarre combinations to find the results. My friends sometimes chuckle how long it can take me to find a song they want me to play.

I love Roon, but the ability to search more effectively is my #1 or #2 complaint along with inability to add songs to Tidal playlists.

3 Likes

Oh yes, my partner gets extremely annoyed with Roon because of this. At home I am the Pro Roon person, but here we have to address these problems. So they can get fixed.

I get pretty much exactly what Marcor gets in his search.

Something like “pink money” brings it right up as the first choice.

It just needs a little extra help.

Mmm? Worth knowing that it is not just me then!

I’m sure this is frustrating, but I don’t believe your experience is typical, though it may seem so based on the many other reports in this community. For most of us, search results come back almost instantly and are good to excellent.

The good news is that poor performance like this is most likely solvable by changing how Roon is deployed. One of the great things about Roon is there are dozens if not hundreds of different ways to set it up, but that’s also the worst thing about it.

Instantaneous no it’s not lol it takes 3-5 secs on average sometimes way longer. I can search in Spotify it’s instantaneous pretty much, Tidal is very close to spotify, Qobuz is slow as is Roon. This was brought up in the beta that search result returns had taken a big hit and nothings changed about it all

Before this release I was getting much faster results. It might be geographical as your in the US but according to Cloudflare they have 3 hubs s in the UK one in my city so it should be lightning fast. It aint.

Links to videos I took off my phone searching for a well known popular beat combo, whisy it’s not the slowest Roons been it’s one of the quickest it’s significantly slower than the instant Spotify. Also note how the quick jump takes an age to settle down.

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Personally I agree that the search in Roon is pretty terrible. Indeed I asked a very similar question of the forum previously (here) I simply don’t understand how it can be so terrible. In the thread that I just linked to, people suggested that search isn’t used and instead tags or focus/filters are used instead. But that seems both daft to me as a response in that, surely, search is there to search!
One useful thing could be to be able to prioritise search to your library rather than on Tidal etc. Or at least to search and then say ‘show only results from my library’.

1 Like

Hi there,
One thing I missed from roon search is the possibility to look for Tidal Playlists. I haven’t been abel to do it from Roon. I have to look for it from Tidal, include it into my playlists, re sync Tidal on Roon, and the I can see the playlist in Roon. As far as I have been able to do, you can only browse Tidal playlists, but not just look one.

Best
Felipe

Why don’t you believe that difficult searches are typical? Genuine question btw - is there a way to know of what is being experienced in this thread are non typical, or if they are typical are they then user tolerance for search? Or perhaps they are down to user search terms and skill? Or maybe, it’s something else like what we tend to search for.

I have tried with no library and just streaming services (previously both but now only Tidal) as well as with my (very small compared to most) library connected and if I’m searching for music I tend to listen to its fairly reliable, or good enough but when I have guests who listen to newer music it’s regularly a point of frustration and I’ll often get asked to just use Spotify (which means no Roon DSP, not that anyone else minds but inside I’m dying).