Search is Extremely Poor

Have you tried pushing the “Library” icon on the search results page? It’s that button right next to “Filter” that looks like a stack of records.

Yes, and every time you move from a page it defaults back to ‘streaming-first’ mode.

This is perhaps influenced here by my personal relationship with streaming (rented) music and my collection (so my mileage will vary) but the feeling I get is that Roon keeps trying to bounce me back towards streaming content, which I feel is the wrong emphasis. I can also of course use focus or filter to (possibly more efficiently) find content in my library.

Fortunate you are

I find it interesting that results are user dependent. This is what I get for Mozarts 40.

That tells me that apparently Roon tries to use my own habits / history (otherwise why show a different result to another user within a small time frame where we can reasonably expect that the “global library” is not changing? )

2 Likes

For whatever is worth “money” also gives me both the track and the composition, albeit not in the priority a Floyd fan might prefer or even expect.

I echo all posts asking for a filter in the search for artist / track / album / composition.

Scientific publication databases allow their users to enter composite queries like “find author XXX and title YYY”. And that since 1992…but then someone told me in another thread that Roon does not use a relational database. I still find hard to believe that no such queries can be implemented in Roon search.

Last rant for tonight: out of curiosity I entered “money” (with the quotation symbols). Interestingly enough now the PF track is first in the tracks list. Maybe Roon can expand on that? Some tricks we can use in the search? The obvious one (I entered ‘track “money”’) failed miserably returning tracks with the word “track” in them

The poor result I was getting for “Mozart Symphony 40” is now fixed with 898.

2 Likes

Hey @Jake_Watson,

Another build was just released today to further our search improvements and fix a few other issues. We appreciate your patience as we continue this work and make additional adjustments.

2 Likes

Thank you @jamie!

Will check it out and report back —

Cheers,
Jake

Beethoven Piano Concerto 2 now works

I expect everybody’s pet failure will be tested over the next few days

So far so good

Interesting

Mozart 40 returns a Composition
Mozart Symphony returns an Album with the next line being the composition

Both correctly return Symphony 40

Is there a limit on the number of results returned?

“Chopin Piano Concerto”

Returns 40 results in Roon in “Albums”

However, when searched within Qobuz, there are hundreds.

Its fine for me…

Was excited to read that Search was supposed to have been improved, especially for library stuff.
Did my standard searches to check if I got correct results of the albums in my library - nothing changed. Search for “Trovatore Pavarotti” and others still do not get all the results in my library and “Werther Corelli” finds none of the albums in my library.

Guess I will have to wait for another release.

Interesting. I tried and it seems to work for me:

The interesting part of my post was:

Search for “Trovatore Pavarotti” and others still do not get all the results in my library

Since I have quite a few full albums of “Trovatore Pavarotti” in my library. :upside_down_face:

The problem is the search in the local library.

Interestingly your Streaming service results only show one full album of “Trovatore Pavarotti” the one with Mehta conducting. The other one with Bonynge conducting is not shown - yet when I search Qobuz directly both full (complete) albums are shown - but within Roon only the Mehta recording is shown. So it even misses the other recording that Qobuz has, plus ignoring all the extra ones I personally have in my library.

So it is a bit more complicated :nerd_face:

Ah missed that.
Yes, I’m having the same issue then.

Roon finds it on 6 albums in my library but my library has it on several more:

To complete the experiment I see at least 60 albums that are direct matches when I search directly on qobuz:

“There was a problem with your search”. Roon search just died. And yes, it’s all there in Quobuz.

Mine only show 2 albums.

I would love this. I use this type of Search in Outlook all the time from:Susan or to:Franklin

Seems it would be so easy to build in parameters into search for:
Artist:
Album:
Track:
Genre:
Composition:
Composer:
List: (for Playlist)
date: 1984 or 1984-2002
radio:

and then the extended words:

Instrument:Piano
Label:

Taking it a step further, make it a command line:

*Play 10 tracks genre:jazz favorites:yes*

Mods: this might need to be moved to Features!

1 Like