Searching for a Roon ready preamp with DAC and balanced in/out

I know that the ADC/DAC step is probably innocuous, I just don’t like the fact that it does it. If I’m going to the effort to listen to analog recordings, I’d prefer to keep it in the analog domain. Just my quirk.

1 Like

I would not buy an H390 again because of its digital features, I would buy it for its great amplification. That being said, I spent way too much money on my H390 for what I’m using it right now, as I bought a separate DAC with internal preamplifier. If I knew that two years ago, I probably wouldn’t own an H390 but a nice power amplifier from whatever brand.

Compared to a well-built DAC, at least the USB input of the H390 isn’t very good. When it’s Roon Ready at some point, I might try the DAC through ethernet, but until then, I wouldn’t recommend the H390 as a one-box-solution! And even when it’s Roon Ready, I would still wait what H390 owners, who have already upgraded to a separate DAC, say about the comparison to the Roon Ready H390.

If you’re still thinking about using the USB input of the H390, I would recommend buying something like a Sonore ultraRendu or even opticalRendu. That makes it Roon Ready and provides the necessary isolation I feel the H390 DAC absolutely needs.

Matrix Audio has multiple products that would fit your needs.
I own one and am very happy with the pre.

The only Matrix Audio with anlogue inputs is this:

https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/489.html

And those are not even balanced, so unfortunaterly not exactly what @Bryan_T is looking for…although Matrix Audio makes nice DACs… :+1:

Nope, unfortunately no analogue inputs for the X-Sabre 3…

Fair enough, but how many actual analogue recordings do you have? Virtually all music is recorded digitally these days, and anything that isn’t may well have been digitised at some point. So unless you are meticulous in sourcing only AAA records everything you listen to will have been through ADC/DAC.

Exactly what I was thinking as I read through this

I have a sizable record collection, a lot of which is 50-70 years old.

1 Like

I use a Bricasti M12. Analog balanced input and output, analog volume control, dual mono DAC. It also has Ethernet bridge for streaming so you don’t need separate steamer. Top quality and top sound. Of course it is not cheap.

I wish I could afford something like that! It looks great, but even something at $3k will be a stretch for me.

Look at ARCAM SA30, Cambridge Audio EVO 150 and miniDSP SHD,

@Bryan_T What did you end up with? My requirements are similar to yours. Debating with between integrated amps like the NAD or Naim or Cambridge vs. Just an amp and a roon Ready pre-amp.

Thanks.

I ended up getting a Cambridge Audio integrated amp instead. I’m still hatching a plan to get Benchmark stuff, but it is expensive for me.

Thanks for your reply. How do you like your Cambridge and what did you get?

I have a Benchmark DAC3 L. For Roon I go into the USB port. Turntable goes through a Moon 110LP phono stage into an analog input. For home theater, the two front speakers go through another analog input in home theater bypass mode so DAC volume control is disabled. This allows me to have TV surround work properly, and for my 2-channel to not be compromised by running it through my AV receiver. I am very happy with the Benchmark DAC3 in terms of features and sound quality.

1 Like

The CXA81. I like it a lot. I use it with a pair of Dynaudio towers and it sounds great for my listening. I use it via USB for Roon or with my phono stage. Simple, easy to use, unobtrusive.

1 Like