Security with Roon ARC / Roon 2.0

Yes, iPhone 13

Arc is choosing 1.2 during the TLS handshake (found/confirmed via packet capture on my edge firewall)

What would the implications of running in a docker be (unraid)

Cheers

Not really my point.

I am not thinking of traditional supply chain attack with direct injection of malicious code in a sub component. These while they exist are exceptionally rare and we should not fret about them.

The bigger concern is a sub library have an unintentional vulnerability that could be exploited like the Log4Shell exploit of the Log4j library.

There are tools that can help in catching these vulnerabilities like BlackDuck or even GitHub to a lesser level but are they part of the process? I have no idea.

Bottom line, an open port to a device that is either sensitive or on a sensitive network is simply a bad idea. Thus before I enable this great feature (and it is great!) I will have to move my Roon core to a sacrificial server on an unimportant and separate part of my network.

2 Likes

Agreed. Iā€™ve refrained from saying thisā€¦ :joy:

But, if a script kiddie wants to hack you, theyā€™ll find a way.

Iā€™d be more worried about browses, websites, and other such software on the computerā€¦

1 Like

I heartily commend this post to the fora. :+1:

Both your and Fernandoā€™s responses demonstrate a rather naive understanding of the cyber threat landscape. Enough said.

2 Likes

Not at all. My system is pretty locked down. But, Iā€™ve been there and around with SQL injections into software, backdoor trojans in the past. We can only do so much. As shown by the whole QNAP disaster recently. Someone will always find a way in, and sniff around to see what can be accessed.

Yes, by users exposing their networks by publishing services and having UPnP enabled and making it exceptionally easy to attack.

Hackers go for low hanging fruit.

Itā€™s exactly the sort of hubris shown here that was exploited by the gangs operating Qlocker and Deadbolt. And they will continue to pick on those who firmly believe either ā€œit wonā€™t happen to meā€, or, ā€œitā€™s going to happen and there is nothing I can do about itā€. Both mindsets are what they are looking to exploit.

1 Like

Why? What are your concerns with 1.2?

I shouldnā€™t be telling Roon what the security implications are of using TLS 1.2

TLS 1.0 to 1.2 has multiple vulnerabilities and itā€™s bizarre that a new app would be deployed using 1.2 as the preference.

Best practice is to use 1.3 as it is faster, a simpler handshake process and more secure

(and only support 1.2 for backwards compatibility)

2 Likes

You arent.

they just asked me :roll_eyes:

No they didnt.

By the way there are plenty of vulns in TLS 1.3 as well.

Ah well that negates any reason to go with the best option available then.

If thereā€™s vulns in 1.3 why not just switch off security completely :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes the logical conclusion of these kind of security discussions is that we should all just not have any computers and never use the internet. Thats secure :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So, do I understand correctly that running ROCK on a separate NUC only exposes this NUC to potential security risks from opening a port for ARC, however small these risks may be? Or could Rock potentially be infected in a way that other devices/shares on the network also become accessible for outside attacks?
Should Roon maybe recommend a separate roon server device for people using Arc, given such security issues?

I think ROCK on a separate device (NUC) is probably the best option from a security perspective. Unless you intend to go to the lengths that some here recommend of DMZs, sacrificial servers and isolated VLANs. Which IMO are not really necessary.

Theoretically something malicous could jump from your NUC running ROCK to another device but the chances of this seems very small.

1 Like

Can someone please advise what manual port forward config is.

(p.s. Iā€™m an Economist who likes music.)

1 Like

Is it this box that says 45575?

Seems like it didnā€™t want to work anyway.

Yep that is itā€¦ for your information as well, after changing it to 0, each time I have restarted the core since installing 2.0 the 0 is replaced by the port no. that originally appeared thereā€¦ so just in case, I go to settings each time and put it back to 0.