Separate Libraries?

Here is my situation: I have two sets of music MP3 (typically, not the highest quality) and FLAC (better). They are sitting on different disks attached to my Imac. I have put ticks next to relevant boxes in the Storage Locations pop-up. This achieves that I have the two green location buttons middle top of the Roon screen (so ā€œ+MP3ā€ and ā€œ+FLACā€). Here is where it gets interesting when I want to find the ā€œgreatest Hitsā€ Fleetwood Mac album in FLAC :

1. Sort by Artist, and invert, I can scroll to the albums whose Artist starts with ā€œFā€, and I can eventually find it;
  2. Having added bookmarks for FLAC and MP3, I can select the FLAC bookmark. As the default sort appears to be ā€œSort by Date Addedā€ (which makes sense), and I have no idea when the album was added, I find myself scrolling, and scrolling, and scrolling, because when I try to sort the bookmarked FLACs, the sort includes the MP3s that I wanted to exclude.

Could I be doing something to speed up this process? I noticed that

• starting a search (top magnifying glass) appears to disregard focus or bookmark settings - I get results from the entire library
  • when I click on one of the bookmarks, I lose the focus button for MP3 - for my situation, it would be nicer to have these be persistent because you must now recreate that button by going to the Storage Locations pop-up.

On balance, I guess what I am asking if it would make sense to have a possibility of doing persistent focus buttons with a possibility to restrict sorts and searches to the subset triggered by the focus button.

Side-remark: when I go to ā€œArtistsā€ or ā€œComposersā€ (top left), the focus buttons for FLAC and MP3 disappear (again, would be nice to have a persistent variety).

1 Like

Perhaps Iā€™m not understanding your issues, but why not just focus on fleet as well as flac and MP3 and then, deselect MP3?

You would have MP3 instead of tidal.

SJB

Hey John

Absolutely more ways to skin a cat, and this works fine. But when you go to the ā€œArtistsā€ view or ā€œComposersā€, you lose the focus buttons. For me, it would be nice to have a way to persistently slice the library in two/three, and have all the sort and search functions available.