Separating Roon Core from Innuos Player - Still Use LMS Player?

I’ve had my Zen MK3 since it was released in late 2017 and always used it as a Roon Core and Player into a USB DAC. Recently I’ve been hearing that the path to best sound quality is separating the Roon Core from the Zen - in my case, what I’d do, since I don’t have another streamer, is install the Roon Core on a Mac Studio in a separate room and configure Innuos as a Roon Endpoint only.

However when I tried this, I was only able to play/select the USB DAC to play to… The Innuos setup in Sense doesn’t indicate that the LMS Player is in the “Endpoint” configuration, only when you set up the Innuos as a Roon Core + Streamer.

The sound quality of Roon in LMS Experimental mode with the Innuos is far superior to just running a USB into my integrated’s DAC. Am I missing something or is it not possible to use the Innuos as an Endpoint ONLY and still use the LMS emulation as the player itself? If not, it would negate any benefit in SQ (I would think) by separating the Core and the player, if you can’t use the player in LMS mode.

1 Like

Try this :
Enable squeezebox support in Roon setting on your Mac, and set your innuos to squeezelite endpoint mode instead of Roon endpoint mode.

1 Like

Thanks, I will give it another shot today. If I remember correctly, the LMS/Squeezelite mode was not an option when you set up the Innuos as a Roon endpoint. If I can get the Core running on my Mac Studio but the Innuos no longer runs in Squeezelite, I will probably just abandon the Innuos and grab a different (cheaper) streamer like the iFi Zen or maybe go back to an ultraRendu. Innuos customer service has been pretty disappointing (answering emails with one question “Do you have the most recent version of InnuOS?” Then disappearing again for the next 4 days).

You can have the innuos in server and endpoint mode just logout of the Roon server app itself as it won’t then be running fully, you should still have the endpoint running and the experimental output. What difference it will make I can’t say but I don’t think the Innuos servers are optimised for Roon only their own player which uses the big ram buffer to cut down on disk activity.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses - I was able to solve this issue myself by setting up the Roon Core on my Mac Studio and then instead of setting up the Innuos Zen as a Roon Endpoint, I set it up as an Innuos Endpoint, which made it a Squeezelite player… Then in the new Roon Core on my Mac I enabled Squeezelite and the Innuos player showed up as the Squeezelite player. So everything is now exactly as I had wanted it to be. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Can anyone comment on the sound quality improvement (if any) by running Roon Core on a separate device with the Innuos set to squeezebox endpoint, vs running Roon core in ‘experimental mode’ on the innuos?