Set Static IP Address for HQPlayer Embedded

Hello,

Is there a way to set a static IP address for HQPlayer Embedded 4 for Raspberry Pi version? I’m using it on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B.

The IP address changes and I have to add it to Roon each time.

Thanks!

On another note, does anyone know if I were to upgrade to HQPlayer 5 Embedded, do I have to purchase the USB dongle again if I had one for my HQPlayer 4 Embedded and would like the USB dongle to work with the HQPlayer 5 Embedded? The dongle is used for registering the product.

If you’re using HQPlayer embedded OS the IP address should change only when you install a new version/release

heyy thanks for the reply and I apologise I missed out on that part. I’m using HQPlayer Embedded 4 Raspberry Pi version. :slight_smile: For this version, it changes as I had to add HQPlayer in Roon each time the IP address changes for it to work again.

You should try to find the MAC address of the rpi while running HQPe and make an ip reservation in your router.
Using Ubuntu (don’t know on Windows or macOS) the command to retrieve MAC and ip addresses is
arp -a

You can edit /etc/systemd/network/wired.network according to systemd.network

If you have just one instance on your network, using “hqplayer.local” instead of IP address may work.

No, you can use the existing dongle. When purchasing HQPlayer 5 Embedded license, use the dongle id that is shown as “fingerprint”. This will automatically generate you a suitable key for use with the dongle.

1 Like

Hi Jussi,

Do you have any plan to add the IP address configuration feature in the Web interface?

This will help many user like me, who are not familiar with Linux, to set static IP address for the HQPE machine.

Thanks

Doesn’t work for you hqplayer.local:8088 or http://hqplayer.local:8088 ?

I have no issue using hqplayer.local to access the HQPE machine via Web brouser.

However, I also use Roon and SSH from other computer so having new IP address after reflash new HQPE OS version and / or using new USB booting driver required more time to check the correct IP address.

No, I think it is unnecessary.

You shouldn’t need to… It is not the intention that anybody would set static IP for HQPlayer OS.

You should instead ask Roon to add HQPlayer auto-discovery option to Roon. It is totally unnecessary extra complication that you need to add HQPlayer address manually. That way all HQPlayer instances would automatically appear on Roon with respective names. Like they do on HQPlayer Client.

You can always check HQPlayer server IP from HQPlayer Client. But I think hqplayer.local should also work on Roon. Although it may depend on the host OS Roon is running on.

Thank you for the reply.
I tried hqplayer.local and it did not work with my Roon ROCK server.
Look like I have no other choice than accept that I need to do extra steps every time there is new HQPE OS

Have you tried with http://hqplayer.local ?

… and another suggestion …
when you access to console the first time to define a ssh userid you could use the command
ifconfig
that shows all about network configuration

1 Like

hey @jussi_laako, thanks for the reply! Using hqplayer.local solved my issue. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply to the other information too :slight_smile:

Please have a nice week ahead!

1 Like

Thank you. Your suggestion is really helpful.
With this, I will not need to log in to my router to find the IP address for ssh setup anymore.
After reflashed a fresh USB drive with HQP OS and re-setup, I can now use hqplayer.local instead of IP address in Roon.

hey Jussi, I’m being faced with this issue now. It says:
2023/11/05 09:14:30 clPlayerDaemon::WebServer(): soup_server_listen_all(): Could not listen on address 0.0.0.0, port 8088: Error binding to address 0.0.0.0:8088: Address already in use

I can no longer use hqplayer.local in my Roon due to this.

As it’s Raspberry Pi 4B embedded, I can’t access its terminal to set the static ip address either. :frowning:

Hope to receive your help for this.

Thank you

This is normal, sort of left-over from the times when web server was listening on both 80 and 8088. Now it tries to bind twice to 8088 and the second one fails. But it doesn’t have any functional effect, just one error in the log.

This is not related, that error is about the web server that is used to manage HQPlayer Embedded configuration. But it is not used by Roon. From your screenshot, there have been already IPv6 control connections, so the control interface used by Roon as well seems to be working fine. Since those control connections are over IPv6, those are likely not from Roon (I don’t think Roon supports IPv6), but likely from HQPlayer Client or HQPDcontrol?

If hqplayer.local doesn’t work in Roon, then mDNS is not functioning for some reason. On what kind of system are you running your Roon server?