Setting Up New Rock

When I transferred my data from my PC server to the Roon Rock server, I lost all of my playlists, tags, Live Radio, and more of the saved music in my library.

Does Roon have that data in the cloud? Can I return to my computer’s Roon server and copy the playlists and tags? Should I go back and redo it with a larger USB drive?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated because I will lose lots of material that I have been working on for a year.

They are stored in the roon database.

You should back up from the old machine (settings / backup in the roon app), and then restore on the new one.

That is what I did, but the first time, I used a USB thumb drive with data that I was unaware was there. I didn’t realize it, and it ran for a couple of hours. Then, the next two USB drives failed to completely download.

Are you backing up and restoring via the roon app? It shouldn’t take hours…

Did you restore a backup from the old machine?

1 Like

Also, to avoid confusion, it is the Roon database that needs to be backed up from the old server and restored on the new server. This is in addition to any copying of the media.files (which are not part of the database).

1 Like

Yes, I backed it up. All of the data from the section “My Stuff” did not transfer over to the Nucleus. So, none of my Playlists or Tags are on the Nucleus.

How did you back up and restore the database?

You should be using that facility in the Roon Backups Settings:

This is the only way to move the ‘My Stuff’ content from one Roon server to another.

Wade,
I did use the Backup Settings. I tried to use the file transfer the first time, but I could not find the link.

Then I tried a USB thumb drive, but the one I used had lots of data from a seminar I attended. So, when I went to transfer from the USB drive to the Nucleus, it was running for a couple of hours. I just thought it was because I have over 60,000 tracks.

In my next attempt, I used two different USB drives that had no data but failed to finish loading. Finally, I used a USB drive to complete the transfer. The problem is that none of it transferred to my Nucleus under the section My Stuff.

I have put in a lot of work developing my Playlists and Tags for my business over the past year. I hope by not deleting the Roon computer server, I can go back and do it over again.

If I can go back, I will get a new USB thumb drive this time.

This is a bit confusing to me, if you see Wade’s screenshot there is a browse button next to the find backups listing, choose that, navigate to your backup and restore it, that will restore your database.

That takes me to the place where I first tried to transfer the data, but I couldn’t find or get the correct Network Share Location. When that failed for me, I tried the USB thumb drives.

I wish I had more Windows knowledge. What I learned in school when I went back to school was MS Office.

A thumbdrive or USB stick is not the best thing to use because it is very slow. If you have a USB SSD, that would work much better.

However, from what you are saying, it still feels to me like you are getting confused between media files (albums/tracks as FLAC/MP3/whatever files) and the database.

On selecting the ‘Browse’ option in the screenshot above, you should see something like:

(Note the actual available locations will be different for you because you are using a USB drive).

You can then navigate to your backup folder:

And then you can select the backup to restore (There may be more than one if you are restoring from a location that has been used for backup multiple times):

Here you can select the ‘Restore’ option.

With a reasonable speed USB drive, the process should not take more than a few (say less than 30) minutes - depending upon database size.

I am looking for an external SSD as we speak. I hope to correct my mistake of using a USB thumb drive and get a DO OVER.

Any recommendations? Many options…What things should I look for in an external SSD?

As shown above, I used the correct location to do the transfer.

With Amazon, I can get it here today, too.

Should I turn off my Nucleus first when I return to redo this with the proper SSD? Then I think my option for the server came up, and I think I chose not the Nucleus but the computer. Then I downloaded it to the SSD and transferred it to my Nucleus, which I have turned back on.

Sorry, but what have you got as your Roon Server - you mention both a Nucleus and a ROCK system - these are not the same thing…

Did you follow the migration guide. If you restore a database to a new machine and the storage locations are different then you can lose your Tags, etc because they are tied in essence to the old file location.

Did you review this…