Setting Up Roon in Landscape Mode from Portrait on Tablet - [Solved - Edited Pixel Density]

Hi
I’d like to set my Lenovo tablet up to display in tablet landscape, rather than phone portrait, mode but am apprehensive in compromising it’s usability for other apps by modifying it’s settings. The attached screenshot shows the current display settings. Could you recommend a good compromise (or let me know you are enabling an option to choose?)

Thanks!
Steve

Hi Steve,

Take a read of this thread; it might be relevant.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/lenovo-yoga-stuck-in-portrait/10749/39?u=rugby

1 Like

Thanks Daniel

That’s very helpful and shows where the developers’ priorities lie.

By comparison I also have an 8" Samsung tablet on which the image settings seem identical and Roon works perfectly in landscape mode on that. The Lenovo has a more elongated screen ratio of height to width so I imagine Roon have decided not to support that shape, although it seems to be becoming more common these days.

I’ll spend some time this weekend trying the options. I can always revert to original settings if I don’t like the consequences.

Cheers

Steve

Hello @S_Penwill,

If you wish to edit your pixel density on the tablet, it seems that the instructions are two threads into that link @Rugby posted, instructions copied here:

Please let us know how it goes or if you have any other questions!

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Great thanks. In a way it’s good to know the issue isn’t limited to just Lenovo and that even the Amazon fire is similarly affected.

I’ll try the process this weekend and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Steve

Hi

I made some time this morning to try this out. It worked! On my Lenovo 8 inch tablet it took a few goes to find a setting I was comfortable with but once all the pieces were in place it was straightforward. I’m not too familiar with command prompts as I stopped using them in the 80s…

In summary, I started with a density of 160 which was far too small, even with the largest font selected. I increased in steps to 200, 230 then 250 and decided I could live with 260 with the font size at its second largest setting. The main apps I use, mainly text based, don’t seem to be adversely affected, the weather and news apps fit a bit more onto the page than normal but it’s still legible with the larger font.

Thank you both for your input. I had previously spent a lot of time googling for a solution but the thought of changing the standard settings was daunting. I think there’s still room for developers to make the android app more flexible to encourage Roon take-up by non-IT literate potential customers but there are other things my vote would support in preference (internet radio improvements, tighter integration with Tidal recommendations by genre) now that I have this working.

Cheers

Steve

1 Like

Glad you got it working Steve. The devs have stated that there is an Android retool in the pipeline, and imho long overdue.

2 Likes

Hi Daniel

The Android retool sounds like a long overdue development as you say. An update on my situation, I’ve tweaked the density to 295 as pretty near the maximum it would go to as it reverted to portrait at 300, as the Guardian crossword stopped working with the setting at 260, only to find the crossword still doesn’t work at 295.

I noticed yesterday that Google have designed their calendar app to change the size of the graphic at the top of the screen to accommodate different screen ratios and maintain the same data content. Not that there’s much free real estate on the current Roon app to afford such luxury, but they and others have clearly found a way to cope.

Steve

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.