Settings on Roon for MQA DACs

And I’ve never used convolution, so, I am sure I will learn some things as well when I do :smiley:

Hi John, (or anyone who can help!)
I will soon have a Zorloo Ztella plugged in via USB to my iMac.
What are the correct settings to ensure that Roon delivers an untouched folded MQA stream to the Ztella to decode?
Thank you,
Toby

Tell roon it’s a decoder and renderer.

No, it’s not in your best interests to do that.

It needs to be set as Renderer Only because its web page states it’s a MQA Renderer, not a MQA Full Decoder. It requires help from Roon to do the MQA Core decoding.

2 Likes

Thanks Peter, much appreciated.Does ‘Enable Integer Mode’ need to be on or not?

Try having it enabled. See if you can get the magenta LED on MQA playback. If not, turn it off. Please report your results.

The Zorloo Ztella finally arrived today and decodes (magenta led) with ‘Enable Integer Mode’ both on and off.

1 Like

Reviving this thread with a question on Roon MQA settings and crossfade with a DAC capable of MQA decoding and rendering.

I just set up an ifi idsd Neo (as DAC only) and had questioned over on Head-Fi why I was getting “OFS” instead of “MQA” on the LED screen…

As you can see from my signal path I had crossfade enabled. Another member told me to try switching that off so the DAC would do both the decoding and rendering. That worked and the screen switched from “OFS” to “MQA.”

I enjoy the crossfade feature in Roon, so my question is can you still use it with MQA? What would the proper device settings be for my DAC? Is there any problem with Roon doing the decoding and my DAC doing the rendering only?

I’m still trying to learn how this all works so your reply is appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Here are the settings I’m using with my iFi NEO DAC (such a great machine, right?)

Here’s my signal path when playing an MQA album:

The display shows “OFS 352k” which is exactly what I would expect. Roon Core is handling MQA Core Decoding (first unfold) plus DSP. It’s then restoring the MQA signaling, which the NEO detects so that it can complete DAC-specific unfolds in firmware. The NEO’s display and Roon’s signal path both report the 352.8 kHz “Original Sampling Frequency”.

Don’t worry, you’re not missing out on any of MQA’s (supposed) goodness with this arrangement. Just enjoy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks so much David! You addressed my concern and confirmed that I didn’t have it set up “wrong” just because the DAC was saying OFS instead of MQA.

I wasn’t using the crossFEED feature as you are, but instead the crossFADE setting. No matter though as you confirmed and reassured me on what I was seeing. Thanks again.

I’ve been enjoying the Neo and it sounds very good. Had to replace my SMSL M500 which decided to take a :poop: lol.

1 Like