Setup advice for a high end system

The misinformation and misunderstandings in this thread are mind boggling.

For the love of god, look up psychoacoustic effects. And the importance of level matched blind testing. Then learn how this technology actually works.

Chris, you’ve been offered a refund on that extremely overpriced Roon server you purchased. I would strongly recommend you take that offer and then work out what you actually need. The concepts being promoted by this vendor are absolute nonsense.

1 Like

No, I was just feeling sorry for you.

1 Like

Hehehehe…

Well… To more properly respond to the post…

Im a electronic engineer. I am a AES memeber and a SMPTE member. Along with IEEE. So I can make my own audio. I have a ton of experence in high performance networking. I don’t allow a new piece of gear into the system without a BLIND AB. Mostly what I do is use a inexperenced person in audio and go A or B… Like a eye exam…

As far as psychoacoustics goes, yea, I understand that topic well.

I am using a room that has been reviewed as one of the best in the world. https://www.theaudiobeat.com/visits/paradise_valley_system.htm A room I designed. I do have established credentials and a engineering background.

The gear, from a measurement standpoint, is top notch.

Overall, I have a very good grasp of the topic under discussion.

So… Why do you feel the server can’t POSSIBLY make any difference ? Explain this in technical terms. I assume you have some background in the subject and your not just a self proclaimed internet expert.

As a aside, if you had millions to throw at a audio room, and you wanted the best server for audio, WHY NOT buy this one ?

Chris -

I am sorry, but this room, or at least the equipment, is obscene.

On this forum, I’ve defended those who have more money than I and spend as they will, but this is beyond the pale. Personally, I’d be ashamed of this, if I owned it.

OTOH, the owner probably also makes massive charitable contributions, so who’s to say. :wink:

2 Likes

In any hobby there are people who push it to the extreme. Cars for example. Houses. A whole range of examples of people who push engineering and art form beyond where its been. I think its awesome when someone does something crazy to push the envelope

We see this through two different lenses, but so be it. :neutral_face:

1 Like

And that’s the great thing about Roon: it’s completely scaleable. There are people enjoying Raspberry Pi’s with home made amps and speakers, to those with more money than sense. To each his own. And if someone opens a thread titled “setup advice for a high end system”, one can expect well meaning suggestions for improvement. There’s always room for improvement.

1 Like

I get where you’re coming from here, and I don’t think that Chris helped himself with his (flagged) post further up but I’m not sure how helpful it is for the forum to venture into moral judgements based on others’ expenditure. Where does it end and how does this help the hobby? I am confident that I will never be able to afford any CH Precision kit, or the speakers mentioned, but it doesn’t stop me being interested in the design and engineering skill that has clearly gone into the room. I’d hate people to feel that they couldn’t share projects like this.

3 Likes

So, I’m curious: what did you AB test the $11,000/m speaker cable against? I would have thought that complete transparency would have set in well below that price point.

I’m not criticizing @Chris_Stephens, he should be proud of his design. It shows a lot of skill.

Moral judgements, anywhere about anything, are appropriate.
In the case of a million dollars spent on a frivolous hobby, I was compelled to draw a line even if I am trying to sell it to the wrong audience.

One can agree or disagree with the sentiment or, for that matter, have opinions about the one doing the judging. :wink:

Peace.

Apologies, I think I may have misconstrued the intent of what you were saying.

Of course, we all make moral judgements all the time and maintain our own moral compass. My concern was about whether this is the right place to voice them. Specifically, I’d hate to see a situation where people don’t share exotic/expensive systems (however defined) for fear of being pilloried.

No desire for anything else, certainly don’t want to pick a fight over this. It’s not for me to say how this forum should/shouldn’t be used, I was simply expressing my opinion about it. You’re welcome to disagree :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Fernando - I’m most interested in how you like the SPL XE and the Matrix feature. I have 800S phones. How does it really compare to speakers? Much appreciated. Thanks - Chris

Matrix crossfeed does help with stage depth and instrument separation but for me it’s not a make or break feature because I have also pretty good speaker systems and if that’s what I’m looking for, I just use them. On the whole, what I like most about the XE is its role as a reference baseline to compare with the somewhat more exotic amps that I tend to use more for getting immersed in music.

I see. I think I’m finding that I don’t enjoy headphones as much as speakers but was hoping to find something that might improve the experience more. Thanks for your reply.

Audition a pair of Audeze LCD=4’s if you can. I enjoy the intimate experience. There’s a audiophile sound to them that I truly like. Much better base extension than Sennheiser.

Thanks Rick. Not bad bass in the 800s. Just thinking I’m not a headphones guy over speakers. Sometimes they’re necessary but I’ll take speakers any time I can.

2 Likes

Until a driver fails and you’re left with an expensive ornament fit only for the trashcan. Been there, never, ever again.

Driver failure on what? The headphones?

Yip. LCD3 driver failure.

Yup, @Chris_Lischy. I am the same. Speakers over headphones by a long way. Never found a happy place with headphones. Closest is AKG K812 with Topping D90 Amp … Yet not close to speakers - Wilson Benesch ACT tactic driven by chord power amp. Only been to one hifi show and tried Chord Dave with LCD 4 and still not close to happy… Am l missing something? Do need that private time with cans!