Shopping list: headphones

The OP bought Aeon closed and a couple of us opted for the T5p. I picked my pair up for under £400.

Mr Speakers Aeon

Oh! I’ve also bought the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 :slightly_smiling_face:

I picked up a Pair of the Opens last Friday and spent a considerable amount of time going back and forth between the two before making a decision.

Overall both versions really sound very similar. While it is easy to discern the differences if you are listening intently, it is also entirely possible to forget which pair you have on if you are getting lost in the music.

To me they were each so close to each other that the decision came down to my listening situation. Both are really good and highly enjoyable. if isolation was a factor at all for me I would have probably gone with the closed, being that is isn’t i went with the open.

2 Likes

Thanks Kevin, I think I will wait until I can try them back to back.

I’m using MrSpeakers ETHER C Flow’s with the Aune X7s balanced class A amp and the Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Digital. Superb SQ for a reasonable budget. :grinning:

Did you see Quad have announced a pair of ESL headphones

100 cm x 60 cm with a BIG strap, I do miss my ESLs

Can’t wait , start saving now …

Mike

You mean the Float?

A mini version I guess

No hi fi news did an article, Quad are releasing a pair of headphones based on their ESL electrostatic design. There was no details just a picture.

My ESL didn’t like Johannesburg elevation and dryness in winter and kept arcing , burning holes in the membranes so I had to give up on them ( or move location !)

I missed sorely

Mike

Must be one hell of a strap…maybe you mean mm not cm???

No cm

I was seeing a pair of ESL 63 with a strap

Just not good enough at Photoshop :joy:

Just a vivid imagination

Mike

I’ve seen a lot of comments that the www.linkwitzlab.com Orion’s replaced a lot of ESL63 setups…and the owners never looked back. I have the Orion’s but never had the Quads to compare. Love the Orion’s tho, and I built the LX521’s too and the m8ni’s and Pluto too :smiley:

To diversify slightly, what sort of headphone amp do people use with the Mr Speakers Aeon? Hoping to get a listen to these soon but I don’t really have anything to hand to drive them. Clearly, for headphones at this price level, I don’t want to be spending extortionate amounts on an amp to drive them. I do have a Chord Mojo though, would that do the job?

I use mine with a Meridian Prime – very happy with the combo. I played a bit with a Pre Box S2 before – the headphone amp on that little box was clearly no match for the Aeon.

Had a Mojo once – nice DAC, slightly warm. I think it will have enough oomph for the Aeon. At least to start with – you can always upgrade later. :smiley:

I’m happy with the Pre Box S2 and an Aune X7s class A balanced amp with an Aune XP1 LPS.
Plenty of power to drive the MrSpeakers ETHER C Flow’s.
Today my Corpse Cable GraveDigger balanced Cardass 4x24 XLR cable arrived.
As advertised it is Dead Accurate. :sunglasses:

Is it too late to chime in? (Edit: I see it is. Well, here it is for any other readers) If you’re price range is $900, I recommended the Focal Elear. Better yet, join Massdrop and get their private labelled slightly customized version of it for less $, the Elex, when the drop is reactivated. The new Audeze Sine is worth a look, both open and closed. If you can stretch your budget, the Focal Clear or MrSpeakers Ether Flow are real stars. Or save money and get one of the Massdrop TH-X00 wood cup variants, and fit it with upgraded earpads from Dekoni, MrSpeakers, or ZMF. They hit way above their price-point.

Ask me whatever you want. Some of my notable headphones, loosely in the order I rate them are…
HiFiMan HE-1000, Audeze iSine 20, MrSpeakers Ether Flow C, Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00, Final Audio Sonoros VI, Ultimate Ears UE900, MrSpeakers MadDog 3.2, Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamics DT880, Cardas EM5813, and more.

1 Like

I must be getting nostalgic in my old age, in the 90s I had Quad44: quad 405 power amp, Linn LP12, Ittock & Troica , Nakamichi CR7 And Quad ESL 67s

That lasted me until I digitized

The ESL are just magic and probably still are the reference . They just hate where I live so they had to and be replaced by ordinary cone speakers

Now I am mostly HD800

It’s been all downhill since … SOB SOB

1 Like

After a good session of burn-in and a few weeks of listening. I am enthusiastic about the result.
Wide soundstage (for a closed headphone), treble are clean and bright with an incredible resolution. Vocals are excellent and full-bodied (deep, sparkling and full of detail). The ÆON response on the instruments is incredible. Very well deifinished and detailed
Where Aeon can leave some doubt is on the bass. There is no classic “punch in the gut” even if they are very detailed and extrended. This aspect may not appeal to everyone, especially if you listen to albums where the bass is dominant.
Fortunately they are not among those …

In conclusion, I’m really satisfied with these headphones :grinning:

Source: Cirrus Logic DAC CS4398 -> HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 -> Mr. Speakers ÆON (closed)