Should a ROCK server be left on 24/7 or not

I used to accomplish the same thing with my amps using Alexa and two smart plugs.

I decided it might somehow be strangling the power, and also that applying power via a smart plug to the already open switch on the amps might be too abrupt.

Dunno.

I got them refurbished in 2016. I know that Manfred said to just leave them on, but I reckoned that 8 hours downtime every day wouldnā€™t harm them in my lifetime, and Iā€™m trying to do my bit for the planet.

Well, my excuse is that the Artera Link and Stereo units are already in standby when the power is cut, so it shouldnā€™t do much harm.

They are lovely speakers and astounding when compared to the competition out there when they were released (hint: speakers from the 50ā€™s suck). The fact that they still hold their own today (and some argue that they have never been bettered) is a real testament to the design. I currently have two pairs of the original ESLā€™s, but these days listen to the modern quads in my two main systems.

They only use about 7 watts per speaker, so if you left them on, you arenā€™t exactly burning down the rainforest. :slight_smile:

Sheldon

1 Like

Thanks for the comment. They are wonderful speakers, and I continue to be amazed at the experience when fed with good material. Iā€™ve only ever been tempted by the Kii Threes, but so far Iā€™m sticking with the Quads.

1 Like

Listen to Paul on this:

And I agree, that the constant ā€˜On-Offā€™ cycle will do more to harm electronics, rather than just leaving them on/standby.

Then thereā€™s the convenience factor. I want my Nucleus to start playing music immediately, and I donā€™t want to have to wait a few minutes for the server to boot-up.

I leave my entire system on 24/7/365. Although, here lately with this stinking Florida thunderstorms, Iā€™ve been shutting it down and unplugging the main power when things start hitting the fan. Last night a lightning strike hit right behind our house and the power was out for about two hours.

That may well be - but how much? Iā€™d be curious to see some numbers, like: how many days / weeks / years a daily on-off cycle takes off of the expected life time? Iā€™ve got a laptop with a cpu quite similar to the one in my NUC. That laptop went into deep sleep = cpu powered off every day for seven years and that thing still works perfectly fine. I wonder when should I expect the cpu to die?

You donā€™t turn off clock radios, DVRs, satellite dishes and only turn them on when you will be using them.
We donā€™t unplug microwave ovens, washers/dryers, TVs, printers, etc. when we wonā€™t be using them.
We leave them on, despite the modest power drain (8 watts for a NUC, ~5 for a clock radio), for convenience stake. Weā€™re very comfortable having our appliances always on. A ROCK server is not different except it comes from a class of things we are accustomed to turning off/on.
Youā€™ll be a happier Roon user if you treat ROCK like any other appliance. IMO, power draw and unit lifespan are just distractions.

Donā€™t let us be distracted by convenience. :wink:

Life span was what the original question asked about: what would cause more wear and tear ā€¦ convenience may or may not lead to more of it. Nobody seems to know ā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t have any data, but in my experience, stuff usually breaks when you switch it on. Rock also takes a little while to stabilize after booting if its been off for a while, as the metadata is checked online for updates. With a lot of albums, this can be quite a task.

Hmm, maybe it broke already while on and you werenā€™t looking. :grinning:
Anyway, thanks for answering. :slight_smile:

Got multiple computers, some as old as 2005 and shut them down and restart them regularly. Only issues are with mechanical parts (replacing HDD) and melting solder when a PCB is upside down.

Think this one of the things in life I wouldnā€™t worry aboutā€¦ :sunglasses:

1 Like

The thread has been amusing so far and even without hard data I think value can be gleamed from all the feedback. No one definitively knows which approach leads to a longer hardware life but it appears like folks have been able to have a lot of success with both approaches.

The hard data would absolutely be interesting but the cynical part of me thinks that in this case the dearth of information might be slightly on purpose, after all would a manufacturer really want you to know that their product has another x amount of years left in it?

Unless your investment horizon in the NUC is literally decades then I think @jmvdv has said it best.

1 Like

I leave my Nucleus on 24/7 not for wear and tear reasons. I just want it ready to go at all times and donā€™t want to fool with turning it on and waiting for it to boot and connect, etc. Itā€™s also in a cabinet with the on/off button not visable. So, I guess that would be for convenience.

I occasionally deal with collections of old hardware going back to the 70s. Most curators leave well alone but I remember one place that practiced a bi-annual turn on. This stopped about 10 years ago after a fiery restart by one machine which was a Dragon32 if memory serves. I was disappointed as had been looking forward to a couple of nostalgia boots of hardware from my youth. Not quite the same issue, but if you accidentally neglect to power on for a few years watch outā€¦

JL Audio technical support for my subs advised me to use the Auto On setting vs the hard power on/off switch because it is better for the longevity of the equipment. Their words not mine.

Denon receivers and OPPO players go into a stand by mode when the power button is used. My Roon Ready Elac Z3 doesnā€™t have a power button at all. Itā€™s always on when plugged in. Itā€™s not that big of a stretch to think the reasons are all the same. Less stress on the equipment not to go through the hard power up sequence.

I start my desktop up every morning and shutdown every night, and have for 10 years, but I donā€™t turn the PSU off and I use the USB ports for charging while it is shutdown.

I do leave my NUC up all the time and that is one reason I decided to go that direction vs my desktop, wanted it always available.

Not sure there is a right or wrong, itā€™s up to the individual for whatever reason they choose.

1 Like

It has better SQ when itā€™s warm :rofl::rofl::rofl: hasnot any one told you that?
Joke apart, mine is on all the time and only switched off when I go to holidays.