Should I convert my SACD ISOs to FLAC, DFF, or DSF?

Thanks. I actually paid to have about 50 SACDs converted to .dsf files a few years ago. I’ll check out that link.

Do you have a lot more that you are trying to convert?

No, just keeping options open. I have a couple of the SACD rips with “errors.”

Nothing serious. Just a couple of missing tracks.

If you download a DSD file it should come in DSF format. If you download DSD as an ISO I am pretty sure it will not be legal because Sony have never sanctioned that.

JRiver does it too and plays ISO directly

I would like to convert vinyls to DSF or similar, which tools do you good folks use? I would prefer something on Mac or linux, as the only thing here having windows is my house.

Are there linux command line compressors that will generate DSF DSD128 from stream?

VinylStudio Pro will rip directly to DSF on Mac providing you have a USB DSD AD-converter. VinylStudio is very nice software with excellent workflow

I would prefer HQPlayer for converting PCM to DSF.

I am using XLD to convert from ISO images to DSF files: XLD Download
It’s free and very useful :grinning: (but does not include vinyl ripping)

@Henrik_Lampe I like this – it has FLAC and is for the Mac command line interface, not sure how this compares to DSF format. :man_shrugging:t3:

Most likely it includes vinyl ripping through a manual fashion.

However did not try something like this yet:

cat /dev/usb | xld -o Side1.flac -f flac

or

cat /dev/usb | xld -o Side1.flac -f flac -

Somehow I would love to try something like to find what all this time stuff is all about

cat /dev/usb | xld -o Side1.flac -f dsf128 -

Yet there is only decoder.

DSD sampling frequency is indeed 64x that of CD, but there are 16x less bits per sample, so the data rate is actually only 4x that of CD. PCM at 176.4/24 already has a higher data rate than DSD.

1 Like

All that needs to be done in the analog domain when playing DSD.

I use a Korg DS-DAC-10R as ADC. I use their Audiogate software for recording up to DSD 128 or 24/192. For tagging and various necessary work, I use Vinylstudio Pro and Adobe Audition CS. This setup is available for PC and Mac.

I use the Devialet D250 over USB from vinyl over RIAA, supposedly 32/192, however I have not yet seen any data for 8 of the bits, so realistically 24/192 into anything from raw USB; Audacity, or plain command line.

To tag the files I use Apple iTunes I believe it’s version 8.2.1

I’ll take Korg Audiogate for a spin

Audiogate will only work with Korg Hardware.

Just realized.

Requires DS-DAC-10R or NU 1 to activate the application.

JRiver does it too and plays ISO directly.

It sure does and it’s a royal PITA as someone here said to extract all of my maybe 100 ISOs that I’ve meticulously converted from my original discs. It plays ISO through J River to my Oppo, it plays on my phone, it plays on my DAP…but it won’t play through Roon. On the other hand, the Roon gapless playback is amazing and J River doesn’t handle Qobuz streaming (huge negative), which is my main source other than local. Still sorting all this out :slight_smile:

To the people here who say convert DSD/ISO…NO WAY! Then you’re defeating the whole purpose of the in my opinion superior DSD playback over PCM. I can listen to the difference with a quality SACD like “Sea Change” because I can switch in my Oppo 205 to run either DSD native or PCM conversion and the difference is night and day in clarity & minute details on my highly resolving Audio Research system. Use ISO2DSD from Sonore and you should be fine…but what a royal pain in my case.

I also strongly recommend XRECODE for Windows as well to convert any format (nominal pay app but well worth it depending on your circumstance!).

You are likely misunderstanding. Nobody is saying to convert your SACD rips into multibit files (WAV, FLAC etc)…
What “we” are saying is that you are better off when extracting and decompressing the separate DSF content from the ISO’s.
Down to the old saying, “Roon is a music file player, not a file manager…”

2 Likes

… similar for 2 Channel: WAV vs FLAC = I found WAV just (just had the edge in SQ many back and forths!!!) However the meta data/file data/file size/software compatibility/Great SQ/user interface & advantages tipped me in using FLAC as standard.

Principle being: Maybe hear the files and see if you can hear the differance if any to your ears?

You are likely misunderstanding. Nobody is saying to convert your SACD rips into multibit files (WAV, FLAC etc)…

What I’m saying is there’s people here that say they convert their DSD to FLAC (PCM) files which I would never do. Sure there’s a lot more control with PCM files as anyone who works with DSD knows you usually can’t manipulate the file at all - no equalization, no room correction via speakers (and it usually needs about a 6db gain)…but the advantages is superior sound because of all that in my opinion. There is a reason why high-end audio equipment (such as both my audio Research and Conrad Johnson preamp) has no tone controls and instead rely on the source accuracy. To each their own as they say.

I’m definitely going to tackle all my images with one of the above mentioned programs. I realized one advantage would be minimizing the files I put on my DAP because right now I have both 2ch & Mch ISOs and the MCh ones that obviously aren’t playable & take up a ton of extra space. It’s going to take a serious amount of time but it’ll be worth it in the end…

The preferred conversion by the way (someone questioned) I believe is DSF because that keeps all the metadata intact. I don’t believe DFF does.

1 Like