Show us your signal path

I misunderstood what the signal path was telling me. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Doug,
My apologies for giving you bad info on MQA, i misunderstood what the signal path was telling me.

1 Like

No worries!

I have a DAC that is a full decoder but I can’t get it to stop truncating the first half second or so of any MQA title above a certain sampling rate. So, back to the Mac

I was just “MQA curious” anyway. I like the light. A lot of internet people tell me it’s meaningless

It’s become the most contentious, angry, opinionated topic in audio in many years.
Maybe Atmos will knock it off its’ perch.
PS: I agree with you about the MQA light. Ooohh, bright shiny object :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

:monkey_face: mqa :monkey_face: mqa :monkey_face:

1 Like

can you share an example, Just curios, you do not have to do it

90% of MQA songs at 96k or higher, no matter what settings or software I use, clip off the first 1/4 to 1/2 second of the start of each track. They don’t skip otherwise.

Even if I thought MQA was superior (I can’t hear much difference) that issue is really annoying.

I’d be happy to do long-term listening myself of MQA just to see if I like it better but this is too big a problem to ignore.

The seller of the DAC tells me this is normal. I don’t believe it.

Mods, split this off if we’re off topic too much

1 Like

I have a iFi zen dac 2 and a Cambridge audio 200M. They do have shutterings, skips when they are “tired” sometimes after 3 minutes sometimes after 10 hours. But this is not the same as you describe. And it happens only on roon with m1 Macs when connected directly by USB

1 Like

The stutterings seem to have disappeared here with my iFi Zen DAC V2 after changing its firmware to 7.4c. Haven’t heard a stutter since with my M1 MacBook Pro. With the 7.4a firmware I’ve had stutters all over the place.

And to stay a bit ontopic :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks.
The zen dac now is with Zen stream, no shutterings

And CA 200M is trying HQP, no shuttering mqa just shuttering computer :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Some things have worked better than others, and I thought I had it sorted by using the SPDIF input from another streamer that can pass along the MQA signal, and I thought I had it sorted by using a genuine Apple USB cable…and I updated the firmware on the DAC (which was NOT easy SMSL SU-10) but none of those were real solutions.

Current signal path!

1 Like

I’d like to believe it represents some kind of provenance, but I can’t prove it, and quite a few say it doesn’t.

I WANT TO BELIEVE

I spent a few hours to write an ASIO driver that can wrap any other ASIO driver installed in the system and grab the samples sent to the device. This way, I can determine, for example, if playback is bit-perfect.

One can use WASAPI in loopback mode to do this, but that requires shared mode. Not only do system settings have to be changed match the sample rate and bit depth, some apps (e.g. Audirvana) work only in exclusive mode with WASAPI. Hence, the wrapper.

(There may already be something similar out there, but it was simple enough, and I can always change it to do whatever I want it to do.)

4 Likes

3 Likes

Cambridge CXN V2 doing DSD64 and “upsampling” to pcm 384. I wonder if I could upsample the DSD64 to DSD128 before it gets turned into pcm 384.

The Cambridge upsamples everything to 384khz and there is no way to avoid this.

SMSL D300 + Raspberry pi 4 does DSD512

2 Likes

Hmm, too complex to draw…
Step 1.
Eric Bibb & Cyndee Peters → Opus3 Testrecord → AMG Viella turntable → AMG 12J2 tonearm → Transfiguration Axia cartridge → Tom Evans The Mastergroove phonoamp → Olympus SR12 Linear PCM Recorder (24/96) → SD card → Harddrive.

Step 2.
Harddrive → Roon Core → Network → Internet → 4G Router → WLAN → iPhone → Bluetooth → JBL Boombox 2 → :loud_sound:

How the h-ll does this even compute? :smiley:

Heretic :joy::wink:

1 Like

I subscribe to Tidal’s lossless tier, which is CD quality, and non-MQA.

I started London Grammer in radio mode, and all songs appear to be MQA-rendered. Did I miss something (or gain something by accident) without my knowledge?

1 Like