Let's talk (show) guitars and gear

Can’t :heart: that as it’s a sad story
Sad on multiple levels

1 Like

I can’t remember if the ES 225T has a center block or not - but if that’s an original 50’s P90 that beast would absolutely smoke for slide guitar.

1 Like

It’s said to be the original P90.
I’m getting closer…
I need help…lol

1 Like

:heart: don’t help but I have given you one for whichever direction you go.

My Dragster!

6 Likes

You can never have too many guitars or too much music equipment. I say happy holidays!

2 Likes

The bridge position looks, off!

They originally had the combination trapeze bridge/tailpiece. This one looks like it’s been converted to an ABR-1 or Nashville bridge setup similar to an ES-175. The angled bridge position here looks pretty consistent with the placement of the original, but it’s hard to be certain.

The ES-225T used to be pretty easy to find and fairly inexpensive to buy. That’s not so much the case anymore.

1 Like

Eagle eyes Jamie😉
From his listing…

1 Like

Yes, the angle is what I was thinking didn’t look right. I’ve only seen them straight.

But I am not a guitar aficionado.

1 Like

I remember finding a 52 Les Paul Goldtop for around $1,000 in Atlanta in the early 90s. It was all original and had turned green from sweat and arm wear. That thing had been played hard but hadn’t been mistreated. I couldn’t afford to scoop it up, $1,000 seemed like a lot of money then.

3 Likes

Just think what that beast is going to cost now!
And the road worn aspect is not going to hurt it one bit!

1 Like

Exactly, all original 52 LPs have started to demand serious money. It’s getting difficult to find ones that haven’t been converted. Do you remember when early 50s Teles were still around $3,000 US? Seems like a dream…

1 Like

There’s a 53 on eBay for $31,428, converted

Just a little out of my price range :smiley:

This is a 57 with what looks like the correct combination bridge and tailpiece.
I still prefer the 55 as first year but…

4 Likes

Yep, it explains why so many of them were converted. The trapeze setup was difficult to play. It looks like the conversion was done well on the one you’re considering.

1 Like

I have a guitar and a 5 string bass (kept w/ low B) but no photos to post… but most recently I picked up a Bağlama saz

Anyone have any experience with Turkish music theory? I’m neck deep in Ajnas and Maqamat and could use some guidance in English!

I could also use some help with technique.

Not me:

2 Likes

Can’t help and had never even heard of these instruments.
But a few minutes on Google makes me think my 4 string fretless bass is child’s play compared to it😲
Very interesting instrument and technique.

1 Like

The fretless gives you infinite options to play outside the 12 equal-tempered tones, while the Bağlama has 17 frets from tonic to octave that include a bunch of notes that feel like quarter tones. You can see the ratios on the Wikipedia page for the instrument if you are curious.

The neat thing that gives the Bağlama a neat sound is that it’s 7 strings are separated into 3 “courses” of 2 strings, 2 strings, and 3 strings. Each string in the course is tuned to the same note, but the first course and third courses have 1 string an octave lower than the rest of the course. It sounds more complicated written than it is in practice.

The part that’s hurting me that is that in Turkish music theory, because of all the weirdo notes, there is very little (or no) harmonizing. You get more flexibility in melodies than western music theory allows for, but you pay the price in harmony.

Anyway, it sounds neat, and I find that a drone note + melody is a fun way to passively noodle on the instrument. I wish there was more info in English and the musical ideas were more modern. I am not super interested in playing traditional Turkish or Arabic music. For example, I love what Jozef van Wissem has done with the Lute. Super modern and experimental with such an “old” sound. I would love to do stuff like that with the Bağlama.

I should mention that after I got one… Enno picked one up too, but hasn’t had too much time to goof around with it (this all happened in the last few months).

2 Likes