Showing (off) your Roon Frequency Response - descriptions and photos

Yes, I purposely made the subject look like that other one.

This thread is for those that do measurements of their frequency response. Show them off! Show us your right channel, show us your left channel, show us your stereo response. Let’s see that room correcting EQ and those listening position before/after responses. Let’s see those room treatments and any before / after curves.

I’m holding back my own photos as I’m just a few weeks away from a GIK order arriving so I’ll post the before / after later in June.

(also, headphones can play too, it’s always interesting to see the wildly different responses between cans these days)

1 Like

Ok, a teaser photo… a few weeks ago I played with the distance between speakers and obtained this result at the listening position. This is 1/3 smoothing. Red is before and green is after. The thick horizontal lines represent 1db. This was taken with a UMK-1 and REW. I use no EQ (yet).

Capture

3 Likes

Be fun to have a show us your cabling thread too - might encourage some of the worst of us (I’m one) to make things better.

DIY full-range line-source speakers with 25x 3" drivers per channel:

8 Likes

Kii Three before and after Audiolense correction. No acoustical treatment other than furniture and carpets.

3 Likes

Really cool. Can you share make and model for the driver used?

Cabinet is rear ported?

1 Like

How does it sound? What are you driving them with?

Visaton FRS8M (follow link for specs)

Sealed enclosure, partitioned for every 5 drivers.

2 Likes

What shall I say, very even and balanced, solid, wide and deep sound stage, images appear at the appropriate height, extremely wide sweet spot, no matter if seated, standing or crouched on the floor, only the lowest octave is MIA.
Owned the absolutely gorgeous sounding Magneplanar Tympani4A for a long time, which I had to part from due to relocation, but their only advantage was the ribbon tweeter.
Enough said, I’m very happy with what I have now!

Click my avatar for further system details…

2 Likes

Why do you look at funny graphs with a view like that?:joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Measured today at listening position. REW + UMIK-1
1/3 scaling. No room correction. No EQ.
Lumpier than I want. More work to do.

Reviving this topic after playing around with REW’s new inversion correction method, as introduced by @OCA - thanks again for the intro!
Sounds are a little more precisely placed on the stage, everything seems a bit clearer and more natural than with the old moving-mic method.

2 Likes

Thank you for reviving the topic…

Here is my Left+Right (FDW 35, physcoacoustic smoothing):

And phase response of L+R before & after correction:

1 Like

Btw REW has just launched the final, non-beta version with inversion (V5.20.13) on the AV Nirvana website.

For reference there’s a discussion in Roon with lots of information about the technique here:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/creating-convolution-files-for-roon-in-the-new-room-eq-wizard-rew-with-inversion/

1 Like

I’d redone mine again after installing the new version.

Adding my impulse and step responses also, where the time domain correction effect can nicely been seen.

EDIT: Let me add phase responses just for completeness…

2 Likes

The measurements are epic. I am starting to get real jealous about your DIY speakers.

1 Like

BTW, to get rid of latency in relation to other grouped zones - uncurable with Roon’s DSP tools - I had to shorten the left window in the impulse response menu for the inverted minimum phase correction responses to like 21us, just before the step rises from 0%, and use a rectangular window.
This doesn’t seem to degrade the correction audibly and visually.

Exactly and that’s why you should export impulse responses with “IR Windows” option ticked!

Yessir, sure thing!

Yeah sod the graphs when you can just look out of the window :grinning:

Where do you live? That is stunning and I am very very jealous.

1 Like