Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Right. What has this got to do with turntable suspension, again? :confused:

I donā€™t know if you missed my very first reply, but here it is again :smiley:

Again you are correct - I didnā€™t see that last line of your first reply and I humbly apologize.

Wall mounted turntable shelf is the proper solution, if at all possible.

Not according to Linn who advocated a light rigid table.

One of the many things they got wrong thenā€¦

1 Like

sideways beautiful.

Linn get something wrong? Thatā€™s like saying HPā€™s Super Disc List sucked. :rofl:

To paraphrase Devo - Are we not audiophiles

Thanks - we didnā€™t want the equipment rack to dominate the room (gotta live in it) so it is parked behind a sofa. Thatā€™s why the pre and Cd player face sideways and the tā€™table is just above them. Donā€™t often need access to the rest.

1 Like

I like your AQUA La Voce DAC. I still have one, but since I switched to a one-box solution (Devialet) it just sits around. I wonā€™t sell it, maybe at one point I need it for a dedicated headphone station. Who knows. But the DAC is really good!

Pioneer dap into mstage headphone amp driving Sennheiser HD 650s

2 Likes

A simple but very tuneful headphone setup consisting of:

1. an older Headroom Desktop Amp with DAC

Headroom was way, way way ahead of their time - this amp is over 12 years old, so more than 12 years ago Headroom was offering a headphone amp/preamp (the amp has RCA line level output with analog volume control) with a built in DAC (coax, optical and USB inputs).

1. a Google Chromecast Audio with digital output (special cable needed, that yellow one, needs a DAC with Toslink optical input)

The Chromecast Audio is Roon Ready and with digital output will play up to 24bit/96kHz files. The Chromecast audio and digital cable together cost just over $40 delivered - the cheapest Roon endpoint going and no assembly required!

1. newly purchased (via Massdrop) Acoustic Research AR-H1 planar magnetic headphones, which sound very nice and are easy to drive, e.g. can be used with a smart phone without an additional amp.

2 Likes

I got mine today. Iā€™m running it direct if off ROCK on NUC and itā€™s seemingly happy at dsd512 too. Will monitor but might also try on a ropieee usb output or maybe as a rpi hat

I have a second one on itā€™s way for my headphone setup. Will be running it off the pi.

via USB or GPIO? Seems DSD and volume control donā€™t play nice. Maybe DSP volume will play better.

Iā€™m looking at some basic cases as mine is in an old DIY chassis just to protect it but its ugly as can be and full of other holes from old uses.

1 Like

usb. do the new boards come with the updated firmware or did you flash it?

I bought one of the aluminum french cases, its a pos but it works. I also modded an allo plexi case for the new one.

Running out of the boxā€¦no idea what the firmware is on it or how to check. Probably need a windows PC to check and or update but its all fine so its staying as is :slight_smile:

New speakers. Everyone else in the house is sleeping, soā€¦will need to wait until the morning to stretch them out a bit. Very odd changing main speakers after, uh 25 years? Damn Iā€™m getting old.

9 Likes

Derek,

Looks very nice. I hope you can enjoy them for a long time.

Did you ever figure out your Pi streaming issue?

Tim

So, here is my latest set up:

NUC i5 running Windows in the office with Roon core.

Raspberry Pi, with iFi iPower and iSilencer.
Running Ropieee and connected via WiFi as the Ethernet is on the same bus as the USB.

Had an Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable, so using that.

DAC is a Schitt Modi 3, bought for the office, but was so good it stayed in my main setup. For $100 I canā€™t recommend it highly enough.

Amp is a PS Audio Sprout 100, connected to Dynaudio Excite 14 speakers using QED Reference Silver Anniversary cables. Interconnect is a Blue Jeans one, I forget which.

The stands are the monoliths from Monoprice.

Currently blowing me away with how good it sounds.

10 Likes

Roon core is a custom built pc
AMD 2950x cpu 16 core
ASUS Strix X399 motherboard
32 gb ram
500 gb Samsung NVMe M. 2 Pcie bootdrive
10 tb red, 2x4t tb green hdd
BeQuiet Silent Base case

Still waiting for Memory Player full software suite
Currently running Tidal Hifi and HQ Player
Feeding 2 systems

2 Likes