Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

New Apartment…new set up!

i3 Fanless NUC (in a different room ,wired) > Auralic Aries > Chord Qutest > Exposure 3010S2D > Neat Motive SE… very satisfying set up, works like a charm.

18 Likes

My humble workstation headphone setup:
Mac Pro 2017, Dell 24" screen, Schiit Modi 3, Schiit Valhalla 2, HD650

As for stereo setup:
Modi Multibit (USB connected to the Mac), Unison Simply Italy, and Cabasse Altura Riva & Velodyne SPL1200R sub.

Couldn’t be happier!

PS. Kudos to whoever identifies the album on top of the CD player!

6 Likes

KEF Blade 2’s are not visually the best fit in my small studio apartment, but sound wise I approve!

Roon -> iFi Pro iDSD -> Hegel H360 -> KEF Blade 2

29 Likes

When browsing this kind of threads, it always shocks me to find photos of very expensive setups where the speakers are placed really close to each other and the listening point seems to be at a much longer distance, blasting the equilateral triangle rule (just a few in this particular thread, mind you). I might be wrong but… what kind of soundstage can come of that?

2 Likes

The equilateral triangle rule is a farce. Getting a great soundstage involves decent room acoustics and symmetry of speaker placement relative to one another and listening position. That’s about it.

6 Likes

Sometimes you’re just stuck based on your room configuration.

3 Likes

As in a… triangle?

Looks like a Wyrd in the chain.

Triangle is part of it, yes, however the listening end of the triangle may meet beyond the boundaries of the listening space.

Consider also horizontal symmetry… are both speakers firing at the same angle relative to listening position? Put a laser on top of the speaker cabinet and mark the height at the wall behind the listening position. Do the same with the other speaker. If they differ you’ve finally found a use for speaker spikes.

I want to give two more likes for the amp. :heart: :heart:

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I dig the simplicity of your setup, not to mention the Blades.

1 Like

Yep. Or other factors, like life.

1 Like

WAF 10/char

I think we have to say SAF or PAF or FAF now as WAF is sexist it seems so must be gender neutral so Spousal or Partner or Family to be politically correct for our fairer sex membership :stuck_out_tongue: who will probably have a problem with fairer too but hey I’m a bloke so what do I know :wink:

5 Likes

My PCF (politically correct factor) is conspicuously absent. I lost it somewhere in the 1990s.

5 Likes

Actually truth be told I think it’s nice that we have an acronym specifically focused on our most loved one’s inclusion of what goes into the household space. I’ll take cover now hehehe.

2 Likes

Well, the thought that crossed my mind was one of small kids (at the time, long ago) running into my lead-filled Acoustic Energy speaker stands. Trashing speakers and splitting open a head. Putting them just out in space would have been trouble.
Things are different now, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

2 Likes

Fedocable, my experience is with Evand too. The equilateral triangle puts too much emphasis on sound stage and less so on sound density. Jim Smith, in his book ‘Get Better Sound’ has come to the conclusion over the years that the average of all his installations came to a ratio of 83% distance tweeter to tweeter to 100% distance from tweeter to ears for ‘normal’ speakers.

I’ve tried both equilateral and non equilateral setup and have always preferred the latter. If you do it in small steps, there’s actually a point when you put your speakers closer together coming from and equilateral setup where the sound stage picks up in space again. Find that spot and the music just flows AND you have a great sound stage. It takes time but once you’ve heard it, there’s no going back to equilateral.

Give it a go. You have nothing to lose.

4 Likes

There’s some noise in that book, but his methodology for locating speakers and listening position in a room is unflappable and delivers results I’d happily pay many times the cost of the book for.

1 Like

There is a 3 DVD set that you can get too for a fast track refresher. I got both book and dvds many years ago and definitely a good read for the most part.