Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Ouch, you do have to hand it to them, they know how to hit Dad where it hurts.

2 Likes

I just finished moving to a new home, and put in a custom-built, custom-sized theater/listening room: acoustic drywall, suspended floor, and six dedicated power circuits. It’s primarily a listening room, with occasional theater use. The audio path is NUCi8 ROCK (in a separate server room 100 feet away from the listening room)-> Ethernet -> Mytek Manhattan II -> Transparent Opus interconnect -> Audio Research Reference 10 -> Transparent XL interconnect -> Classe CA-M600 monoblocks -> Transparent XL speaker cables -> Wilson Alexx. The rest of the gear is mostly for the 11.1 Dolby Atmos theater experience.

ROCK on the NUC has been very satisfying.

28 Likes

I would suppose that large screen is needed to project how big your grin is when you are listening to this rig. Really nice, especially with the room.

4 Likes

At least you know that their children will be exactly the same (or worse) :grin:

2 Likes

Sloping tops so not available as drinks coasters, too high up when they were tiny and moveable as they are on plastic feet so kept in the bay.

7 Likes

What are those speakers?

Shahinian Compass.

1 Like

Is that a Technics SL7?

Yes. It’s inside the cupboard now as I rarely listen to vinyl.

With all those records? I had an SL7 a while ago.

I still have mine…back in the 80’s I had modified it with a wired remote to Stop, Start and Up/Down But no longer needed that mod so removed it about 20 years ago. I’ve had to replace the P type carts a few times and these get harder to find so have a few in reserve. Currently using a Blue Point & have Grado Black in reserve plus the original cart.

Sadly mine have all broken feet/footers and so Im using Sorbothane pads under the main chassis supported on a slab of granite. Using Emotiva XPS-1 phono pre to my XMC-1. It had several drive belts for the arm motor drive too…hard to find the right sizes. I repair it myself so easy to keep it running.

Doesn’t get much play time these days tho…

1 Like

I was wondering how you kept it going. I have a picture of mine somewhere, it was in a flat I owned between 1985 and 1989, there were JR149 on the wall.

I nearly bought an sl10 this week because it was so cheap but then I came to my senses :slightly_smiling_face:

Wow a bit over the top for the Atom. Bet they sound great though.

Maybe we should start a “showing off your non roon setup” :smile:

Core: NUC 8i5 with ROCK

Storage: ReadyNAS 214

Control: iPad

Endpoint 1: Linn Exakt system based around Klimax DSM for sound quality in main listening room (it does have another speaker not shown)

Endpoint 2: NUC 7i3 in Akasa case with ROCK and ATL Power Supply connected by HDMI to Marantz AV Receiver for surround sound in TV room

Endpoint 3: Linn Kiko for convenience in bedroom

Have had Roon for five months and it has transformed my listening. I was not impressed with free trial a little over a year ago, but gave it a second chance with version 1.6. This convinced me that it is the way to go in future. Main advantages for me are integration of Qobuz with local storage, searching/browsing and multi-room operation including surround sound files.

The only irritation is that Roon is reluctant to release control of the DSM if I want to switch to vinyl records or TV sound output.

In an ideal world, I’d combine the best aspects of systems 1 and 2 to get the benefits of sound quality in surround playback. Unfortunately, the Linn DSM doesn’t play surround files despite handling surround by HDMI.

9 Likes

Did you report this? How about asking support, or a feature request? I don’t know if it would be a Linn or Roon issue though. Nice system.

1 Like

I have to agree on homeaudiofidelity.com. Whatever Thierry is doing to create his room correction filters makes a huge difference in both my theater and living room systems. -So glad Roon has a convolution engine.

Intel 7i7BNH NUC running ROCK > Meridian 218 > Meridian DSP5200SE speakers

Allo DigiOne Signature > Meridian 568.2mm > Meridian DSP5000.2 speakers

19 Likes

Many thanks. No, I haven’t, yet. Presumed it was something that would get resolved in time, but you’re right, it won’t get on the to do list unless it’s reported.

I’ve had them for over 15 years and got a bargain at the time. With the Atom and a Nap100 I bought cheap, see a theme (?), they sound great.

1 Like