Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

4 Likes

Nice looking setup. Hope you enjoy Roon as much as I do. I’m still in the trial period with Roon running on my desktop along with Tidal and Qobuz. Have it playing most of the day. Will be going the NUC route as soon as I can. Enjoy…

1 Like

what’s that below the parasound?

Thank you, Mike. The music sounds so good-so much better than I thought it would- That I am getting to know my music library all over again!

1 Like

Ho Woodford, and thanks for your interest.
The small tube amp below the Parasound is a Dynaco ST35. I rebuild and modify Dynaco amps as part of my audio equipment hobby. I have included clearer pics of the system, as well as another Dynaco amp, the ST 70, that I have modified.

The pieces of equipment that are on/in the cabinet are as follows:
Top of cabinet, left to right:
Intel NUC, Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra, Technics SP10 turntable in custom plinth.
First row of shelves:
The Parasound p6, flanked on either side by Quicksilver Mono 100 tube amps
Bottom row: Monster Power conditioner
Dynaco St35 in the middle,
Nakamichi PA7 200 wpc power amp.

The Monitor Audio Subs flank the cabinet
The Altec Valencias are next to the subs.

I did a complete restoration and upgrade to the Altec speakers, which included:
Re-veneer the cabinets
Build new solid walnut bases
Replace the diaphragms in the horns
Rebuild and upgrade the crossovers using higher grade capacitors and inductors.
Replace the foam grills.

Thanks for your interest!

8 Likes

it’s beautifully restored, thanks for the detail. did you build the credenza as well?

nicely done. How hot does your cabinet get with those tube amps?

Hi Woodford:
Thanks for the complement. I would love to say that I built the credenza, but that I purchased. Not enough tools/skills/space to do that level of work.

1 Like

Thanks for your interest, rrwwss52.
I removed the doors and the back of the cabinet to allow for air circulation in the cabinet. The St35 is the smallest of my tube amps and does not heat up to the degree of the much larger Quicksilvers. Also, they do not all run at the same time. When I do run the Quicksilvers, I place them either on the top of the cabinet, or on amp stands on the floor. They will heat up the room enough for me to drop the temp of the house AC system to help keep the room cool.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I have a couple of tube components and heat is always a battle. I use component and DC fans in some spots.

Bill, I’d be really interested to learn more about this, perhaps in a new thread :wink:

Hi Mike:
Thanks for your interest. be glad to discuss Dynaco gear. However, I am new to this forum (these are my first postings) and do not know how to start another thread. Can you help with that?
Bill

Click -
ap
Click -
nt

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra, Lyngdorf TDAI-2170, Raidho X-1 (and a Pro-Ject RPM 5 Carbon when life calls for analogue)

25 Likes

Thanks, Slim!

1 Like

You listed everything but the Sharp knock off of the Tice Magic Clock:

Because a little magic never hurts :rofl:

Had to google Tice clock…right up there with magic crystals!

Probably in a #tinkering threading if it’s roon specific, but perhaps might be better in the diyaudio.com forums so others with similar amps can enjoy the discussions too. There is likely to be something there already I would think.

Hello All… I am new to Roon and give it a try at least for a year to see what is coming up…

My Setup (minimalistic)

Roon Core/Storage - Innuos Zen Mini MKII
connected to Receiver with a Manunta HiFace Two UAC2 - USB to RCA from M2Tech
(works fine up to 192/24 ; including DSD over Dop v1.0 converting)

No Need of DSP or Speaker Setup so Performance is fine. No issues from that part til a weak now.

Roon Control - Asus ZenPad 10 (Android 7 :slight_smile: ) - everything fine here

Roon…hmmm…Endpoints

Onkyo AV Receiver - everything fine here

Chromecast Gen3 connected to TV - only for displaying (here still the known probs with loosing Connection etc)

Panasonic SC-GA10 wireless Speaker - everything fine here (of course only 48/16)

4 Likes

what do you use for a phono pre?