Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

It’s temporary. To answer another question, previous speakers were fully rebuilt/reconditioned Klipschorns, just wouldn’t fit in that space.

We went from a 3,600 square foot log home in the forest to a 1,400 square foot house in the burbs - one that needs a lot of work.

I do all my own work, so things take time. The stereo is actually setup in the end of the dining room - where the living room used to be as the kitchen/dining room is now all kitchen. That’s why there’s a chair on other side of the speakers, they’re the extra chairs for the oak table that’s a bit big for the dining room.

When I get the next level down fixed up (four level side-split) I may move the stereo down there. If not, then the next house may be more suitable.

The goal was to downsize the physical requirements for the stereo system. This is what it used to look like.

24 Likes

those gorgeous speakers really do deserve a SET or, even better, a SETs pair :wink:

This photo looks oddly “Edinburgh”. Are you Uk based?

Good to know. Even better once they get broken in; probably around 100 hours.

I just bought 6 myself.

I had Mullard 8137 and gold pinned 2492s (?) in an aesthetix pre and phono amp a while back. What a sound! Unfortunately I didn’t have personal use of a power station for these and the EAR890 monos…

yorkshire is well known for its tea plantations :wink:

final comment-- still off topic…

@Danny_Bower I went down to Paul’s (Baldwin) with my PR99 to have serviced/set up just as the corona virus was starting to take effect.(NOT on me personally ) You getting one of his pre amps?
Might ask him about a power supply for nucleus+ as he does do a good job…

Here is my roon Setup. The roon core runs in another room downstairs. I stream via network dsd1024 to my SDV3100HV.

35 Likes

LOL, Thanks, I am flatter… But no I am not. That’s just my cellphone :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice. . I have the pdp3000hv and pa3000hv

I did the same on my CM3, but only in the center position. An improvement for sure, and worth the upgrade, but I would say it’s not night and day.

YMMV. I think one should run matched sets. For me, that’s 6 tubes that are the same type.

How long have you had your tubes working?

Nice setup!

How well does the REL sub integrate with your Quads?

Did the Townshend speaker platforms make a significant difference?

@RodS - yes, he’s just developed a new 10 input preamp which looks incredible so very tempted by that. He’s also just built a brand new amp which is also very desirable.

Must be said I’m hugely impressed with the 405C though. Bags of detail and keeps a real grip on things. Presents a really nice overall take on the music, very coherent.

I had trouble when firing the Quads down the length of the room along with the sub. I could never get the balance of the bass right, possibly a standing wave issue?
Since the photo was taken the sub has been moved twice, far left and now far right (quads closer together). However, integration is now excellent, the boomy bass has gone and I only know the sub is working when I turn it off, then it’s obviously missing.
The current change of location was done a couple of hours again so there’s a bit more work before the final placement. It’s sounding good so could well stay there after a couple of positional tweaks.

Townsend stands? None in the photo, just the built energisers.

1 Like

I’m from Lancashire but love a cup of Yorkshire tea, one of the best. Now I’ve lived darn sarf for more years I can remember it’s nice to have a the one for hard water.

Sounds good, I know how important it is to get room placement right from my own room (I went the other way round from listening across the width to listening down the length with great results) where dialling in bass integration was difficult but now excellent.

How do you find the Townshend platforms?

None in the photo, just the built energisers, on feet or spikes as supplied by Quad.

Roon runs on my iMac; my main system is made up of a PS Audio DirectStream DAC; use ethernet with their bridge card.

Local music is served via Synology NAS. Use hifi version of Qobuz; listen mostly to classical, jazz, early music.

Amp: Classé CA2300
Speakers: Avalon Transcendent
Cables: Acoustic Zen

I use Sonos devices too and have a Auralic Aries based secondary system.

22 Likes

Apologies, was viewing on my phone where the photo was rather small!