Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

I have a CD deck and an SACD deck. SACDs are variable (as most recordings) but Dire Straits “Brothers In Arms” is very good (to my ears).

2 Likes

No not knocking Matrix at all, but it’s not all about measurements, it real world listening that counts. I have no idea but I’m guessing Aqua and Matrix sound very different. Aqua have an organic analogue sound, well the La Scala does anyway :grin:…and it’s an r2r DAC.

I think it’s unfair to say they are overrated.

Matrix do look to be very good value for the specs :+1:

2 Likes

Among the only thing (beside vinyl’s) worth adding in one’s personal collection these day’s. For everything else there is a streaming or two services available :slight_smile:

Correct, but both birds are as dead as it is the Marantz sound (well, generally speaking and in my experience/ears). I don’t believe that there is a toy out there playing SACDs only.

I will seriously consider vintage/second hand gear (Sony scd1, scd777es or OPPO universal players for example). If you want new ones, Yamaha and Denon also are worth trying, but they tend to be very expensive (thank you again to all mp3 lovers/adopters, may the streaming be with you!).

Haha how awesome to have a partner that can appreciate the hobby aswell.

I really enjoy listening together, each one queueing up some songs, sharing a good wine (or whisky), have a good conversation and enjoy each others company. Would be awesome to be able to do this with the spouse aswell!

You‘re certainly right!

I used to have an AQUA La Voce, I sold it to a La Scala user. Interestingly, he thought the La Voce to sound better than the La Scala. He thought the difference might be because of the tube buffer in the La Scala. But so much to listening!

All I am saying is that excellent sounding DACs can be had at a reasonable price. Naturally, one has to listen and decide if a DAC fits into ones setup.

Do enjoy the La Scala!

1 Like

we need a “show us your home office desk chairs” thread.

2 Likes

Like @Gareth_Tuffery said above, the prices are high for discs, but the players generally play both SACDs and redbook CDs, as mine does. Depending on the player, they’re not too expensive unless you go with something esoteric. This Onkyo was a Craigslist find for $175 or so. So, minimal investment. But it’s not a super hi-fi piece of kit. Pretty middle of the road I think.

Does it really make a difference in my system? Ahdunno. More resolving systems, maybe more obvious. Maybe more obvious if the transport were more upper crust, too.

I only have a dozen SACD’s, but probably 500 CDs. I needed a player, so I figured why not.

1 Like

https://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&categoryid=4&orderby=price_d+asc&ResultsPerPage=100

There are 150 or so up to $15.

1 Like

sweeeeet

time to go shopping :crazy_face:

@Anthro Yes it is, I also enjoy listening together, it is nice to be surprised be one another’s music choices and ROON is perfect for this. So I suggest you get your spouses favorite bottle of wine and some nice appetizers. :wink: Enjoy your system and music.

Have a nice weekend and stay save.

1 Like

Exactly this!

Thanks, the same to you!

Damn that’s clean!

Chord DAVE plays the DSD256 to DSD512 which the Nagra HD DAC cannot.
Single USB cabling from Nucleus Plus.
Samsung internal SSD
CAT9 ethernet cabling from router. (probably the weakest link)

Cute Chord DAVE icon

10 Likes

Nice setup. Would love to see one further out to admire that large television! I’m jealous, I have the space to do that… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

What’s with the dual DACs? Interestingly the two I considered when settling for the DAVE (and later + mScaler). I used to own Nagra gear with VPA mono power amps and Jazz pre. Really do respect that brand.

Nagra HD DAC and Chord DAVE have very unique sound. They are the two I enjoy most. I still cannot find any that make female vocals sound better than the Nagra. The Nagra Pre is a classic. The music flows so cleanly through Nagra, it’s the closest to vinyl without the extra work needed to play LPs.

Actually, trying the Sony DMP-Z1 over the last month. Really losing a sense of time these days.

1 Like

Nice setup! What is that massive cable going into the Dave?

My messy clutter

Server:

• Mac Mini running Roon (Qobuz / Tidal)
  • SSD with FLAC files

Sources:

• Allo DigiOne Signature running RopieeeXL (Roon + AirPlay) (BNC S/PDIF)
  • Cambridge CXC CD Transport (RCA S/PDIF)
  • Apple TV 4K with J-Tech audio extractor (Toslink S/PDIF)
  • Sony Blu-ray/4K DVD
  • Fluance RT-85 with Schiit Mani Phono stage (RCA analog)

DAC:

• Schiit Yggdrasil

Amps:

• Schiit Freya + (tube gain stage)
  • Benchmark Media AHB2

Headphones:

• Schiit Vali headphone amp
  • Focal Clears

Speakers:

• Buchardt S-400s on Buchardt stands
  • Rel T7/i subwoofer

Other:

• Allo Shanti linear power supply for DigiOne
  • Raspberry pi with display running RoPieeeXL display with Flirc IR receiver
  • Panamax power conditioner
  • Logitech Harmony Elite
  • Kimber cable speaker cables
  • Kimber / Audioquest interconnects
  • Darko doorstop
  • LG C9 OLED TV
23 Likes

Shunyata Sigma NR power cables.
Another one with the Nagra Power Supply.

I suppose you are using the Nagra MPS? I find it pretty power cable-immune, but then i mostly run it on the batteries. (I use a Chord Hugo TT or Audiobyte Black Dragon for everyday use)
Anyways, great setup. Thats a Bluesound also, to the left?

1 Like