Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

The volume pots of the amp are set and forget. They serve two purposes in the Shindo world. The first is to adjust balance (no balance control on any Shindo preamp. And secondly they are adjusted so that the gain control of your preamp will be in its sweet spot. Until I can afford a Shindo preamp I use the volume control built into my Totaldac.
Steve

1 Like

Cinema room which isn’t my “pure” 2 channel Roon room, but still listening to a lot of Roon in here through the Trifield / DSW sub set up.

The Roon QNAP NAS sits unde 861v8 on the left behind the photo… :wink:

Sub on the left…

5 Likes

The amp is Japanese…the El84’s are Mullards made in Britain in the 50’s. Most of the other parts are nos made in America…but nothing fancy. No ceramic tube sockets, no space age dialectics in capacitors, no expensive rca jacks.
Apparently what is important is the person not the parts!

3 Likes

I do enjoy having the su-6, as it is the only ddc I know of that has 2 i2s hdmi outs; I use both, one to the X-Sabre Pro and the other to a Holo Spring 2. I have tried direct usb to dac (holo) and it does sound somewhat “warmer” and “less immediate” than using the ddc. The only other ddc I’m currently interested in is the denafrips gaia.

Thank you again. I also own the SU-6 and find it the best DDC for SQ I have heard (if not best bang for buck). Agree with you, it does change the presentation; I found it provided more focus and a cleaner sound (what ever that means!). For me it made a nice differance to a FPGA DAC (Hi-End) with USB (COAX and I2S where better, Just by a worthy amount with my long suffering wife A/B/C-ing) and a nice step differance up to a (non USB yet reference) DAC with BNC SPDIF in (no A/B/C needed).

Agree the Denafrips DDC’s look very interesting; yet I will hold on the SU-6 (trying to hold back a condition called up-grade-I-tou$.)

Enjoy your DAC’s and the SU-6.

1 Like

This is my headphone set-up with the Auralic Aries Femto, Vega, & Taurus MKII. The headphones are the Focal Utopia and everything is plugged into an Audioquest Niagara 1000 with NRG power cables. Audioquest Carbon Coaxial to connect the Aries to the Vega with custom XLR jumpers from Corpse Cable to connect the Vega & Taurus MKII. I love the exciting and lively sound of the Utopia with the Auralic gear. I do have a listening set up but it’s in my basement and not much to look at (planning to finish the basement one day…)

4 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Advice on new Roon system

Another day another endpoint. JBL. Link 20, saw an amazing deal on a new one that could not be missed. Ideal for the garden as it’s waterproof and has 10 hour battery life.

4 Likes

How does it work as an endpoint? I’m looking for a solid, wireless, outdoor endpoint. Functionality over sound quality.

It’s a Chromecast device. Not the best sq I have heard, bass is a bit flabby so might need to use some DSP but it was a bargain at £65

Thanks for the update. Have you had any communication issues with roon core?

Seems ok, had issues earlier with all my Chromecast stuff, I had to reset Google home and it’s ok. Takes a while to show up though as it’s boot cycle is quite long. But other than that it’s ok.

1 Like

Have the same DAC/QNAP/Tidal with USB connection for 192K listening through DSP 7200SE speakers in a smaller room, with Roon running on Nucleus Plus with Control on Sony Vaio Touch PC next to listening chair. Plus Linn Sondek TT for analog listening. Divine sound.

1 Like

Nice bench. I listen a to a lot of music from mine :grinning:

1 Like

I have a set of JBL Control X speakers that also have Chromecast built in. Same random disconnect issue, occurs every couple of months. I’ve heard this is common with the JBL Chromecast products. Might be why they were on sale for 70% off.

Great looking bench! I’m building a split-top holtzapffel. Base is done mounting vises now. I like the Benchcrafted vise hardware but went with Hovarter quick release twin screw and wagon vises.

1 Like

You guys have nice benches!

1 Like

And gals…

That turntable looks interesting, did you build it?

What kind of lights are those and do you have a link?