Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Sub is Gibraltar G2, I tried to get a second but they are discontinued so that’s another project to pursue.
They (it) goes down to around 12hz so they’re reasonable.

Two would be even better, of course :sunglasses:

I’d think the new equivalent model would work? It might be slightly different, but that could be dialled out - and the room physics are set anyway

All I ever wanted from any of my cats was to not do prohibited behavior in front of me.

3 Likes

Updating my original post with a few recent changes:

Upstairs

• Replaced Denon AVR-991 with a Denon AVR-X3300H
  • Added second Pioneer SW-8MK2 sub
  • Added Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel (Sound Dynamics is now just a 'riser)
  • Added Oppo BDP-103
  • Added Monster HTS2600 Power Conditioner

Downstairs

• Largely unchanged but did add a Monster HTS1600 Power Conditioner

Master Bedroom

• Sold the old Denon AVR5700.
  • Found a Denon RCD-M37 mini system without speakers for $40 and use that the Pioneer BS22-LR speakers instead of the 5700.

All the above changes come from my painfully incessant (obsessive?) need to look on Facebook Marketplace for local ‘opportunities’ to change/tinker/obsess.

Have tended to be stingy so I wait for what I consider to be ‘good deals’.

• X3300 was $200 with remote and in the original box, which I thought was a pretty good deal.
  • The Pioneer sub addition and center channel came as a ‘set’ though I didn’t really need the center. $100 combined.
  • The Oppo was something I’d been seeking. Would have rather had the 105 or better, but cost is always the issue there. Found this one for $300 with the wifi adapter and the remote. Have REALLY enjoyed the Oppo. Fits into this system very, very well.
  • The power conditioners also came as a set for $125 combined.

I still argue that my system is quite ‘mid-fi’ given some of the amazing setups I see in this forum. Quite musical enough for me, however, and I get such enjoyment out of all of it, who cares if they aren’t the best :grinning:. Best is relative.

Oh and let’s not forget the other side of the upstair room. Added a second 30" Apple Cinema Display to use on my work laptop (like many, been working from home since mid-March) and also a tiny (relative to the 30"era) 20" Cinema Display with an A/B switch for swapping between systems. Not sure why I like these old Cinema Displays so much. Maybe it’s because they were WAY overpriced in their day ($3299 and $1299 when released in 2004) and are now available for a song (all 3 of these for less than $350 combined). But boy, those 30" displays put out some serious heat if set to full brightness.

5 Likes

That turntable next to the speakers on the shelf is not very good.

1 Like

I think that assumes that the center speaker is used when I play an LP - and it is not. Don’t disagree that a dedicated turntable cabinet/shelf would be better, but I never listen to LPs in anything than 2.1

1 Like

This „silver thing” under the screen, is it some kind of power strip with movable power sockets?

Did you buy huedynamic pro? :slightly_smiling_face:

In the library, I have Mark & Daniel bookshelfs that use Heil AMT units. I agree, they are fabulous, they have the same immediacy and “there-ness” as the Avantgardes.

Yes, it is an Eubiq power strip.

Haha, she has no choice but to listen to whatever I’m listening.

Love the High Fidelity poster…do you have your LPs organized autobiographicaly?

1 Like

:rofl: I do not have quite that level of obsession. Mine are just alphabetical vs autobiographical

1 Like

Dick : I guess it looks as if you’re reorganizing your records. What is this though? Chronological?

Rob : No…

Dick : Not alphabetical…

Rob : Nope…

Dick : What?

Rob : Autobiographical.

Dick : No fing way.

Rob : Yep. Let me tell ya how I got from Deep Purple to Howlin’ Wolf in just 25 moods. And, if I want to find the song “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac, I have to remember that I bought it for someone in the Fall of 1983 pile - but, didn’t give it to them for personal reasons.

Dick : That sounds…

Rob : Comforting.

Dick : Yes.

Rob : It is.

11 Likes

Truly classic exchange.

2 Likes

Nice microphone setup. Online meetings, podcaster, or ???

Mainly online meetings. Or better said ‘online audio’ I’m the manager of Learning & Development resources for a regional bank. So between conducting online meetings, facilitating online events and creating online training I spend a fair amount of time online and good audio is a plus. The Yeti Nano is a nice little mic with good sound quality.

Actually been toying with the idea of using it to try and follow that great thread on room correction here in the community. Have to think that mic might be a good one to try.

C’mon now…don’t keep us in the dark (sorry I could not resist). show off your stuff…we want to see it!

Yep, just got myself a Yeti Nano with the “shield” like yours. But don’t have it on a cool swing arm like yours. I think I want one of those. (my world is mostly online zoom meetings these days…)

Swing arm is nice BUT, my desk has zero places to attach it. So it’s not ideal for my set up. In fact, hard to tell in the photo but I actually have the mic stand attached to an antique MacMini that I haven’t used for years. It has some weight to it so I attached the mic stand to that and just leave it hanging off the desk. Horrible set up. Really need to solve it. Generally speaking the whole desk thing is just a $h!t-show. Needs some very serious purging and organizing. I’m one 12-step program away from being a hoarder.

3 Likes