Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

The networking pics give me the creeps, but the final piccie provides some consolation :slight_smile:
All one needs, a crackling fire, some music and a wee dram in hand!

1 Like

Especially in a hifi audio show and tell thread. Sign of the times I suppose.

3 Likes

Alternatively, they warmed the cockles of my heart. Lovely stuff.

5 Likes

SWMBO was a very common abbreviation on the mountain biking forums a few years ago. Especially amongst those of us who would gradually squirrel parts away in the shed, only to emerge six months later with a mysteriously completed (and unaccounted for) bicycle! :rofl:

To be fair to her, she’s very laid back and easy going and ingulges my little projects. The only time she got really cross was when I pulled up the spare bedroom floor to run ventilation ducting for the networking gear which shares the pantry cupboard under the stairs!

2 Likes

I’ve just noticed how much dust and debris is sitting on top of my switch :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Time for a clean!

I’m a little schizophrenic, the main system in the sitting room’s all tidy cables and clean. The office is currently a wire webbed fire hazard…

2 Likes

Hi Imad, I simplified my response somewhat given the topic. HAF is pretty sophisticated in their analysis, and it is not automated - you are paying someone to work with proprietary software (which you can purchase) to develop a convolution. Thierry sends you test sounds and you send back a suite of files from a dozen mic positions. You are correct with items 1-3. My house had a 100 MHz resonance and that was one of the bigger audible improvements as well. I can explain more in a different forum if you wish.

The big difference was (IMO) that it was painless on my side (interesting actually) and the professional in question had his 10,000 qualifications hours already so I got an optimized result up front.

1 Like

Hi. Appreciate your good response. Yes, I would recommend people who are serious about room acoustics to get a professional. I learned from experience that many people who try to do it themselves feel disappointed and even reach a conclusion room acoustics does not help and even make things worse.

Let me give a small hint here is that for a filter to work, the system needs to have specific capabilities. For example, when the DSP wants 10db push on a frequency, the amp and speakers should have the capably to deliver that. It is like the human body reacting to a medicine. Not all people respond to the same treatment the same way, depending on many factors.

2 Likes

Hi @anon80830635, that wasn’t my experience. I liked the results but felt I could do better. The multiple source thing the led me down the Dirac route. Measuring for the Mini DSP box wasn’t trivial still. I have 4x sets of measurements, sweet spot and wider audience, each with curtains opened and closed, which makes a difference. Again, I tried a few correction settings before settling. I do suspect your choices will reward you with a better understanding of the process, and quite likely better results in time. I’m jealous, but lack the time. HAF is another interesting option, I’m in a rental house ATM and would like some element of DIY. The improvements you list are consistent with my Dirac experience, and for once it’s really not a subtle effect. No doubt that depends on the room as well. Thanks for sharing.

Finally ordered and got my Mac mini Core running. It’s so much more convenient than plugging my external SSD into my MacBook Pro (which was running the Core) and then working from there.

The whole setup is…

• Marantz PM7000N integrated amplifier

• <-- Blue Jeans Digital Audio RCA <—

• Allo DigiOne Signature / Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB) / Shanti Dual Linear Ultra Low Noise PSU

• 2014 i7 Mac Mini running Roon Core on Big Sur / 16GB RAM / 1TB PCI-E SSD / 1TB Samsung T5 external SSD (I’m going to put a 4TB SSD into the SATA slot of the Mac mini in the next couple of months and use the external SSD for work)

• KEF Q750 speakers

• Fluance RT82 turntable

I’ve got a switch and some Blue Jeans CAT 6a ethernet cables showing up today to wire everything up directly. Next upgrade will probably be the Fluance RT82 to a Rega P6 this year, and then sometime in early 2022 I’ll pick up a Hegel 390. After that, the speakers will get an upgrade, and I’ll be pretty near end game at that point. I’m a bit of a minimalist so multi component systems aren’t my thing and I think the Hegel in combination with everything else will sound just perfect. I like very little cable clutter and as few interconnects as possible. I built this system from nothing almost exactly a year ago after moving across the country, very bare bones, on my university academic faculty salary. It started as just the PM7000N and a pair of ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 speakers, but it’s getting there piece by piece as I replace and upgrade.

Oh yeah, and I’ll be picking up either an iPad Mini (when the new models drop) or an iPod Air to act as a remote. Right now I’m using my MacBook Pro or my iPhone, but it’s the classic, “One is too big and the other is too small” problem.

13 Likes

I’m becoming more of that mind and these look very interesting. “Poor mans’” Dutch and Dutch?

1 Like

Those are nice. I don’t think I’d go active though. I still need to find a decent subwoofer that won’t break the bank. I live in an apartment, but my only neighbor is across the hall (I don’t share a wall with anyone) and below me is the gym. So I can play music a little louder (not that I ever really crank it) than most apartment dwellers.

Stylish!
I recommend to install Remote Buddy. With this App You are able to remap the buttons of different remote controllers to the roon app on macmini. It’s very comfortable to get control about the most important functions (previous, next, playpause, volume) with an IR or BT controller.

2 Likes

Big network envy!!! :wink: As an amateur photographer I’m way behind at only 20TB of storage, but I built a PC specifically to both handle my Photoshop work and manage the DSD512 upsampling in HQPlayer for use with Roon - great combination.

1 Like

Thanks! I guess I’m lucky in that I seem to be able to do most of these things myself. I do some reading, maybe watch a YouTube video or two and then get stuck into it. The cost of employing someone to do my networking setup for me would have been prohibitively expensive.

Building your own PC is an incredibly rewarding and satisfying experience - you get exactly what you want and it normally costs less than buying a complete system from a retailer.

1 Like

I was always nervous about power protection for my more sensitive gear, so I added aTorus Power AVR 15 for my distributed system. I don’t expect any audio improvement, but it’s nice knowing that big fat toroidal transformer is sitting between my mains and equipment!

14 Likes

I2s connection to Onyx? That’s what I have and love it! Roon server is the sonictransporter i5.

In August I posted my primary setup. Now the renovation of my other appartement has finally reached a point where I dared to unpack my other gear. The tiny Lens speakers are new and I must say, they do not disappoint me at all. I will be doing some tweaking with cables and power the coming weeks and I am considering adding an Allo bride to the Rpi. But for now, it sounds promising.

Love to see your comments and suggestions!

Sources:

• 47Labs Flatfish & 47Labs Progression - CD player & DAC
  • Roon - MacMini - Rpi4-RoPieee - Burson Audio DA160 DAC - streaming
  • Chord Mojo&Poly - portable streaming

Amplification:

• Leben CS600

Output:

• 47Labs Lens - speakers

Cables:

• Cees Pel Audio (Flatfish → Progression)
  • AudioQuest USB (Rpi → Burson)
  • 47Labs OTA (Progression → Leben)
  • 47Labs OTA (Burson → Leben)
  • 47Labs Kishimon (Leben → Lens)
16 Likes

Mini ghetto blaster I see, what is the round thing on red trolly?

Yes, I have built my own since I started with a Sinclair zx80 kit back in 1980 and now have i7 intel/nvidia P.C.

Didn’t build my iPad though :+1:

1 Like