Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Thanks for the Infos.
Did you compare the 2 versions? Tone Scout and Air Scout?

Are your subwoofers the W-Bin originals from Living Voice for the Scouts?

I’ve gone with the multi-room minimalist approach. With two young menaces, I can’t have cables & components…

Main Setup
B&W Formation Duo
B&W Formation Bass
ROCK running on custom Lenovo M93P w/ 16GB RAM & 500SSD (mostly using TIDAL Hifi)

TV Setup
B&W Formation Bar
2x B&W Formation Flex

Master Bedroom Setup
B&W Formation Wedge

+ Kids Bedrooms
B&W Formation Flex

12 Likes

the behind the couch speaker position is underrated. like massive headphones, and sometimes sounds marvelous.

Google Photos

I agree. I stumbled upon that realisation though! The photo is taken from the listening position on a larger couch opposite :slight_smile:

I’d still take the stereo focal point though on most days!

1 Like

sounds good on the couch, and great in either chair.

16 Likes

My digital setup is fairly modest as I stream as a background activity mostly. It’s also an evolved, yet compromised setup; having to double-duty as AV rather than being dedicated to music.

I have numerous Sonos boxes dotted around: a pair of Gen2 Play5s and a Sonos Sub in the kitchen area, a Gen1 Play5 in the master bedroom and another Gen1 Play5 in the garage so I can have tunes whilst burning meat on the bbq just outside the back roller-door of the garage :slight_smile: I used to have a Sonos Connect in the main setup in the pic, but lower res streams from Spotify, whilst fine for background music on the other Sonos devices, sounded crap through my floor-standers when I started to drive them a bit harder. The Sonos Connect (well, all Sonos kit at the time, in fact) was unable to handle higher res in any case and I knew I wanted to go to better resolution on the rare occasion that I actually have a digital listening session on the main setup (in most instances, when I want to actually have a listening session, I tend towards vinyl more - obvious statement with 2 turntables in the pic! - unless the subject matter is not in my vinyl collection).

The scandalous way Sonos treated customers (in trying to coerce them into trading-in Gen1 devices unnecessarily) added to the debacle of effectively orphaning Gen1 devices if you also had Gen2 devices in the mix and wanted the new app functionality, the resolution limitations became the final straw for me.

So I scratched the hi res itch with a Bluesound Vault and TIDAL with a HiFi subscription - another significant, but small step on the evolution of my setup. This is when Roon came into my life. It was the only way to be able to have sychronised multi-room streaming (albeit at lower res, but for parties etc it’s not really too important) across the Bluesound and the Sonos devices.

Whilst the benefit of the Bluesound and TIDAL was striking and immediately apparent, it pretty soon revealed the new weakness in the chain - my Onkyo AV Amp. This ushered the next evolution - a Musical Fidelity M6si amp to drive the B&W CM10S2 floor-standers. I use the front L&R channel pre-outs on the Onkyo to pass-through to the M6si using the HT inputs to preserve the TV/movie AV facility (the Onkyo still drives the centre and 2 rear B&Ws).

The M6si has been an absolute revelation for lifting the streaming experience, but the amazing improvement in performance of vinyl was a very welcome bonus. The M6si is a dual mono design within one box and provides ample power for my needs; it was a relative bargain at 4,500 Aussie dollars. I had suffered the poor music performance of the Onkyo for the convenience of AV and keeping the missus happy by not having too many boxes around the main living room. She has now been won over by the M6si and often prefers to play my vinyl (mostly 60s/70s blues, rock, folk, prog rock, 70s/80s pop and a smattering of jazz and reggae etc) rather than streaming her iffy dance music :laughing:.

I’m now wondering where the next evolution will take me :slight_smile: Life is a journey, and a good one at that.

Tel

14 Likes

I’ve had a few Musical Fidelity pieces, both of which I really enjoyed. First was a CD-Pre24, a component that was ahead of its time, and which i sometimes wish I still had. then an A5 integrated, which in some ways is a forerunner of your M6. It’s still going strong in my in-laws house.

The current generation streaming products (Encore) are interesting, but tough on the eyes, and don’t support Roon. When project bought them there was talk about reviving the A1, but i’ve not heard anything since.

2 Likes

My minimalist late night Roon endpoint. iPad Pro 10.5" and B&W P5 Wireless.

14 Likes

simplifying my office roon endpoint: mac, benchmark 3b dac, line magnetic “analog sound” AS-125, klipsch RP-600m. awaiting the final component: omega super alnico high output XRS.

thank you rachel at grant fidelity!

10 Likes

Agreed Terry! Had fun reading this post…

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Amp looks like it would sit well in power station, or short of that require its own.

1 Like

Add images

Updated my roon core to a innuos mk3 mini…
Lovley jubbley

13 Likes

Roon Core: M1 Mac Mini with external hard drive feeding an SMSL SU-9 dac, to Emotiva Stealth PA-1 monoblocks, driving NHT 2.5i or NHT Classic Fours (I switch between them right now) and a Hsu Research ULS-15 Mk2 sub.
Endpoints include an Intel Mac Mini for near field desktop and headphone listening (Emotive Little Ego dac, Sennheiser 58X Jubilee), and a Denon X3600H receiver for my 7.2 home theater (NHT and SVS speakers/subs).
I’d like to set up a RaspPi based endpoint in a bedroom soon too.

1 Like

Pardon the feet.

Currently sat listening to Almost Holy OST, highly recommended.

Top: SOTM SMS-200 > MiniDSP DDRC-24 > AVI ADM9SS + AVI Sub

Middle: Marantz NR1509 > KEF LS50 + Arendal 1961 Subwoofer 1S

Bottom: Mac Mini (Roon Core) > Topping E30 > AVI DM5

Not shown: RPi4(Roopiee) > IFI BL Nano > Cayin IHA6 > Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Closed

Pi is shortly to be replaced by another SMS200 and a new DAC purchase on the horizon, currently in the analysis paralysis phase.

Various Sonos products in bedroom, kitchen, workshop and summerhouse. (UK summerhouse = glorified shed, not a cabin by a lake in a beautiful forest)

19 Likes

+1 …certainly the best thing on the inter-webs !!

congrats to all on their systems / rooms. thanks for sharing !!

2 Likes

small improvements in my system, the electrical installation is very poor in my home, with the power strip it is a great improvement. I did not get the same sound quality through roon as from the teac application, this switsh has solved it

10 Likes

No use in showing off something I wont be using after middle of May

Hi All! Made a big change to this room. Added the Pure Audio Project Trio 15’s. I selected the Voxative PiFe full range driver. Suggested run in time is 200 hrs, and I’m at about 100 hrs and they sound great. My expectation was they would sound more like ‘live’ music than the Harbeth’s…and they do! Much better instrument separation and the bass is really fast. Hits hard than leaves. Very impressed so far.
Oh…and I also like 1.8 (ducking) :sweat_smile:

27 Likes

Jamie Oliver wine glass?