Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Excited! New headphones in the house, MrSpeakers Æon Flow closed!
Let’s see how they work out with Lehmann Audio Linear Pro amp, fed by Meridian Explorer 2 DAC.
RoonBridge on a Raspberry Pi running DietPi.

6 Likes

Congrats – great phones, just got a pair myself.

From my experience, the little Explorer 2 drives them quite well by itself (better than the Pre Box S2 I had before). But your Lehmann will manage them just fine, I guess. :slight_smile:

I’ve got a Prime coming in this week – let’s see how they match.

Yes, you might be right, I’ll try them straight into the Meridian too.
I had the setup with the headphone amp since before with a pair of Beyerdynamic T1 - notoriously hard to drive.

You sold your Pre Box S2 already? :slightly_smiling_face:

Yup. Needed a better headphone amp and (once more) discovered that DSD upsampling is not for me. Did DSD512 for a week (both from Roon and HQP), but well eh… meh. MQA was fine, but there are many roads to the blue dot. :wink:

2 Likes

Rene, what exactly don’t you like about DSD (I suppose in comparison to PCM)? You mentioned this in some other threads as well, no opinion on this myself (yet), just interested…

Superb Setup !

These days, I think that to validly say that you do or don’t like upsampling to either DSD512 or high rate PCM or otherwise, you really have to specify more than that in order to make it anything other than a personal statement. For example, what computer front end are you using, are you going through an NAA, what filter choces are you making in Roon or in HQPlayer, etc. Without those it is a completely valid statement of opinion, but shouldn’t influence anyone else’s thinking on what might be best for them.

To me, the real benefit of what Roon and/or HQ Player do for us is to give us choices that maximize the sound we can get from the other equipment choices we have made. Therefore your choices are not likely to be best for me unless we have identical equipment (including that pasted on both sides of our head). :smiley:

1 Like

13 Likes

ATC SCM 50/100? Very nice!

1 Like

Thank you indeed, active 100. :slight_smile:

Lovely :slight_smile: I am looking at ATC’s for my next purchase (11’s). What’s the rest of your setup?

Enjoy!

1 Like

What is that headphone stand? (Not the head, the other one…)

Thanks.

Very simple, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE pre, ROCK on Intel NUC, Mytek Brooklyn DAC, that’s it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks like the FS-Pro from Room’s Audio Line.
Great stuff!

1 Like

^^ What he said. Great materials, nice workmanship. It’s full metal, rather heavy and height adjustable. I paid €139 at WifiMedia, but I see Thomann also has it.

1 Like

I agree with most of what you said. This was me offering a rationale to @sohe68 as to selling the S2 on quickly, even though it really is a nice little box. (My main reason for getting the S2 was to revisit high bitrate (DSD/PCM) upsampling as I do ever so often. I did and thoroughly disliked it, in the circumstances you describe).

I know better than to tell other people what they should or shouldn’t like or do (except for running Roon Server on a dedicated Linux Core, getting their network in order and staying away from NAS’s, Powerlines and WiFi). :wink:

2 Likes

I know and appreciate that, Rene, I was just interested in how you perceive the DSD sound and/or its differences.

Let’s do that in a more applicable thread – or by PM. I really don’t want to disrupt this HiFi XXX show any further – I must admit I have developed quite a sweet spot for gazing at other people’s Rooniverses.

5 Likes

of all the contributions I’ve read on here, @Evo1668, this may be my favorite: I just rest them on top with a coating of thermal paste

Please do it in another thread. I am sure there are others who are interested in your opinions on the topic.

1 Like