Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

I dig the art work. Who?

A chinese artist (Xi’an Wei Zhu)working in my home country Germany.

He is specialized in huge landscape art, most of them depicting China. And the seller represents him, as the seller is specialized in art from young artists, that show high long term potential, betting on the next “Picasso” if you will.

You can find more from that artist here:

1 Like

Thanks, it appeared Asian in execution.

Very nice set up!

Are you happy with the Devialet? Is it working properly with Roon?

I am very happy with my setup and actually cannot share the frustration of other owners. But that is because I am not using Devialet over WiFi but Ethernet instead.

Roon integration is great or the best Roon can do. I am just waiting for Devialet to integrate Roon Readiness, so that I can group my speakers attached to Devialet with other Roon ready speakers in my home.

3 Likes

Thanks for your info. I read so many negative comments about Devialet.
I consider that same set up in one Room. Same loudspeakers, just with Pro Ject 10 RPM Carbon and an Ortofon Cadenza Black.
Still not too sure on Devialet.

It depends on what you want.

I honestly do not believe that it is overpriced and it is a great bargain if considering a used device. At the end of the day you get more than an amplifier and with the new Spotify connect feature it is easily integrateable into today’s new ways of listening. Alternatively you could by a McIntosh amplifier and a Linn Streaming device and end up paying double the price as compared to Devialet which combines both :grin:

As I said, the only.shortcoming is that it is not Roon ready, yet and Devialet has it on their roadmap.

I have Devialet on my Radar.

1 Like

Now a days there are fine products out there.
No need to visit a hifi museum for linn products, or even worse McIntosh.

2 Likes

Why does active support for one require the denigration of others?

4 Likes

Sorry, I did not mean you belong in a museum. That is a missunderstanding.

I am also very happy with Roon AIR and Devialet, great sound and 100% working.

My work music system system is now fully up and running.

In the dive shop…

A Yamaha RX-V795A AV Receiver and a pair of Coral X-III 3-way bookshelf speakers. DAC is a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro running RoPieee OS to create a RoonBridge.

It would be great if the RPi could be connected to the TV and display what’s playing. Maybe one day RoPieee will get that feature.

In the front office…

A NAD 7020 AM/FM Stereo Receiver (circa 1988, 20W per channel) driving a pair of Coral X-III 3-way bass-reflex bookshelf speakers (circa 1982). The DAC is an Audiophonics RaspTouch I-Sabre ES9028Q2M DAC (Raspberry Pi 3B with Audiophonics I-Sabre ES9028Q2M DAC, 7" OLED Touch Screen, Volume control, Steel case, and 8 GB memory card running RoPieee OS to create a RoonBridge).

When the phone rings I typically turn the volume down using the volume control on the RaspTouch rather than the one on the receiver.

In the back office…

A Yamaha RX-V992 AV 5.1 channel Receiver is driving a pair of Yamaha NS-50T 2-way speakers. DAC is a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro.

Roon Setup

The FLAC lossless music files from my growing collection of 1,390 albums and 22,061 tracks are being delivered from an Intel i7 NUC running the Roon Labs ROCK music server software. The ROCK uses a 4TB Western Digital external USB3 hard drive for music file storage.

An Apple iPAD Pro 10.5" and Android based smart phones are used as the Roon control devices for browsing the library and selecting the music.

It’s an eclectic mixture of vintage, unloved and new gear put together relatively cheaply. Yet it sounds awesome!

The music system is on a separate network to the office network. An internet connection previously only used for customer Wi-Fi access and streaming to a shop TV now also supports the music system as well a weather station. The Roon control devices connect via Wi-Fi. The old netbook used to upload the weather station data to the web runs Windows 7 and can’t run Roon. I bring in a laptop from home and connect it via an ethernet cable to transfer additional music files onto the ROCK. (Wireless file transfers are too slow.)

Customers

Customers are loving the sound. When they come in I often start to turn the volume down on the shop system and many ask me to put it back up. Lots of comments about how the shop just feels much friendlier now. Plenty of requests for something they’d like to hear. Of course I’m inflicting my musical tastes on them, but I have a fairly broad range of genres available.

Most of the time I start Roon off in the morning by selecting an album to play, and then let Roon’s Radio feature just go roaming through the library. It’s interesting to hear the connections it makes. I started this morning with the album “A Night In San Francisco” by Van Morrison and so far it’s played tracks by John Lennon, Bruce Springsteen, The Travelling Wilburys, Eagles, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Supertramp. The Doors, The Police, Bob Seeger, Billy Joel, Pink Floyd, Buddy Guy, Jimi Hendrix, and currently The Allman Brothers Band.

The Dive Shop and Front Office systems are zoned together. Staff do what they want on the backup office system.

If Roon’s profile feature supported a guest/party mode, I’d let customers install Roon on their smartphones and select what they want to play. However, right now with Roon profiles everyone has access to everything and can edit and delete metadata and tracks, so no customer access is being given. Roon needs a locked down party/guest mode where the setup is read and play only.

15 Likes

Like the carpet.

4 Likes

I think Devialet is overpriced. With a margin for the hifi shop at about 50%, I feel fleeced. For instance Bryston is (much) better value for money.

Same Opinion. There is some discount available for Devialet products.
I am not so sure if they make it on the middle to long run…

Maybe it’s more a question if Devialet intends to stay with the audiophile crowd or not. That Soundbox they build together with Sky could be a sign that they want to go more mass market. (And having Foxconn as one of your investors may point into that direction too; but then they’ve also got LVMH and Jay-Z money so who knows…) If this Expert Pro platform ends sooner than one expects (no more updates, for instance) it may be too much money to spent on now. But it’s an interesting piece of kit, very 21st century.

And btw & in my opinion: it actually sounds quite good. Had a chance to listen to a 220 recently and compare it with some other fine kit. It didn’t blow me away (the other gear didn’t either) but it’s quite something.

I have a Devialet 1000Pro driving Magico S5 and the sound is fantastic. 4 friends have been and listened to my system, borrowed a Devialet amp and now have them. They have come from valve and Naim based system and would never go back. Sure if you think of it as an amplifier only it is possible to maybe think it is overpriced but when you consider what you get in such a small package its great value. So I bought another to go to Spain.
I used to buy different amps and front ends and phono stages but now I just listen to music.

2 Likes

I recently tested a pair of Totem Tribe Towers for my bedroom connected to a Devialet Expert 200… It sounds way better than I expected, even at low volumes. I wish I had some SAM goodness for the Tribe Towers, but I’m really happy with the combo.

I’ll be keeping it.

2 Likes