Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

At my age I really shouldn’t comment on photographs I’ve only looked at on my phone…

3 Likes

I’m only using the 14 day trial with my underpowered laptop right now, but that’ll change fairly soon I think. I hope to swap the laptop for a Nucleus and a 2TB SSD.

The laptop is connected via USB to the Sony TA-ZH1ES headphone amp/DAC, onwards to the Leben CS300XS valve amp, then finally the Harbeth P3ESR and Sony Mdr-Z1R headphones. I also use my Sony NW-WM1A Walkman as a source which connects via the DAC, and a Pro-Ject The Classic turntable and a couple of phono stages from Croft and Cambridge Audio. All the piles of discs are because I’m in the process of ripping my 250 SACDs for playback on Roon.

6 Likes

After a year long hiatus I am back in the game! nothing much changed but it feels good to have time for music again :heart_eyes:
This setup has been in use for many years now, the latest serious addition was the Mytek in 2013. The speakers and amplifiers I have for more than 20 years now, I don’t think I ever get bored with these amps and speakers.

Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 804 Matrix
Amplifiers: Bowers & Wilkins MPA1
Speakercable: MIT
Balanced interconnects: Mogami W2534 Neglex - Furutech XLR

Dac: Mytek 192 stereo DSD
Powercable: Furutech

Bowers & Wilkins MPA1 monoblock, built by Rotel under specs for B&W especially for this 8 series. I also have the low pass filter for these speakers but unable to use in current setup.

Furutech plugs and power cable, I really love their quality(sound wise I don’t hear any difference :grin: )

Server i7 6700K - MSI Z170A SLI Plus - Transcend 256 GB MTS800 M.2 SSD - HQPlayer custom build

NAA Butchered Mac mini 2006 - Core Duo 1.66 :rofl: without fan, airport, bluetooth, CD rom and case. this feeds a firewire signal to the mytek.

10 Likes

Keep them coming all, I really enjoy seeing all the set-ups and diversity. I really must do mine!

4 Likes

Makes my Senn HD800s sing!

That’s a cool NAA.

This is running both Roon Server and HQP? HQP Embedded?

Roon Core is running on an Intel NUC i5 machine (original case with active fan-based cooling) with Ubuntu 16.x. The music is stored on a QNAP NAS. The hardware is well hidden and far away from my living room.

Roon Remote is running on various Android devices with Android 5.x up to 8.x, on Windows 10 and a single IOS device.

The main stereo setup in my living room:

Streamer: Linn Akurate DS/1
Amplifier: Leema Tucana MK1
Speakers: Sonus Faber Olympica III (graphite)

The rest of the flat is equipped with Sonos speakers (Play:1, Play:3 and 2x Sonos Connect). Kids are listening with Sonos devices and the Audiophonics RaspDAC connected to speakers or they are using Roon to playback music on their android devices using headphones.

7 Likes

thanks, amazing that it still has a meaningful purpose after 12 years.
oh no HQP embedded for me, just plain old faithful HQP desktop and Roon :yum:

2 Likes

Should go for many years more (hopefully) running as NAA only.

Hehe nice. What is that case your Windows HQP/Roon server is in? It looks awesomely massive :slight_smile:

It is an Corsair carbide 540 case, on its side. It does look awesome for a pc case

1 Like

Certainly looks more interesting than my boring HQP server :tired_face:

Mine is a fanless i7-7700T running HQP Embedded (Jussi’s bootable USB image).

For any HQP users out there (warning: do not try this at home :grin:…):

I’ve currently got a (infamous) Corning optical USB cable directly connecting the HQPe server to my iFi Pro iDSD Dac… :open_mouth:

It may be this DAC’s well done USB input or the Corning optical USB cable or a bit of both, but this is the first time I’ve been really happy directly connecting a USB DAC to a high powered, ‘busy’ computer which is up-sampling to DSD512. My recommendation to others is always to use a networked endpoint and I still may end up doing that again. But I don’t seem to be in a rush at the moment, with my desktop headphones setup anyway.

There is a small method to this madness :grin: For anyone interested here is some great info from Ted Smith about how the Corning optical USB cable may help:

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/corning-usb-optical-cable/3761/44

I’m really enjoying my current desktop setup of HQP Embedded DSD512 > iFi Pro iDSD > MrSpeakers Aeon Closed cans

Of course, all controlled by Roon. That integration with HQP is a real winner, as all Roon+HQP users already know of course.

1 Like

My humble setup with not ideal speaker placement due to danger of speaker stands and 1 year old baby leaning against them. Working on workarounds, but for now it is what it is…

But sometimes when I am alone, I do take out speakers away from the wall

Rock on NUC downstairs feeding sotm sms-200 neo over Ethernet which then feeds mytek liberty DAC over usb and to Rega Elex-R amp and ATC SCM11 speakers. Both sms-200 and Mytek Liberty have sbooster LPSs. Also have Rega RP6 which is hardly used now after I got Roon

15 Likes

Ok, you want an upgrade to your phone audio as it’s playing as a Roon endpoint?

Enjoy this idea I found on You Tube lol

5 Likes

That isn’t all that humble, in my humble opinion :blush:

2 Likes

Yeah it looks the shiznit, but you need some space😋

Could you tell me some more about hqp embedded, the pros and cons, over pm if you don’t mind?

Isn’t the ifi pro with all it usb tricks built in the reason for your enthusiasm? I will read the ted smith article when I’m home

Anyway it sounds like you have a proper setup, congrats!

1 Like

Roon on Intel NUC Mini PC kit NUC7i5BNK Core i5, Slim Version
(Active speakers)

LINN Akurate Exakt 530 music system

Mytek Brooklyn+ DAC to NHT Classic Three Bookshelf Loudspeakers

Roon found the Linn Akurate Exakt DACs (3 per speaker) no problem. Sweet

14 Likes

Less is more.

1 Like

Love the idea of user replaceable acoustically transparent speaker cloth, with the custom designs they offer.

Makes visual integration into any room easier.

Great system there.

I remember being shown this new CLD driver design of the SCM 11 by Ben Lilly before they were commercial back around 2005. Nice setup!

1 Like

I fell in love with ATC, now will be climbing up the ladder through various ATC speakers I think, when budget allows. Also planning to get ATC sia-2 150 integrated amp sometimes next year

1 Like