Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

7 Likes

I understand your reaction.
yes final for 2 reasons:
Itā€™s been 25 years since I started with Hi-Fi and for 2 years I decided to offer me the system that would satisfy me for good.

• the system must not have any default

• I am 53 years old, my system must remain competitive for 15 years, after that I would be too old and my ears tired :slight_smile:

each element has been chosen according to all these criteria.
I am lucky to have a very good dealer.
my system works perfectly, having listened to systems 3 to 4 times more expensive, it is better (in my opinion obviously).
this is my definition of final :slight_smile:

4 Likes

no need to track the temperature of the mac mini, the i7 processor turns so slowly , when I put my hand on it, it is barely warm after several hours of listening, at the same time, I deliberately limit my listening to 24/96.
I had a mac mini 2010 before, it got hotter, with the fan running sometimes.
today my fan never runs.

Actually, in my case there is. CPU intensive tasks push my cpu temps to 160F (Iā€™m an American so I only speak F). For example, when syncing my ipad music from the mini to an iPad, the mini runs at 25% cpu at 160F. Seems a bit high when my Windows computers do the same task 25 to 30 degrees cooler with the same utilization and timeframe. Iā€™ve checked with Apple and they say this is normal. Iā€™m concerned about what HQ player will to the Mac Mini. Iā€™m just looking for metrics. Thanks for your time.

Inherited a couple of B&W floorstanders for the main system, so the Dynaudios are now in the tiny office. Obviously not ideal to have them behind me, but it works fine for background listening. :sunglasses:

• Dynaudio Audience 52SE
  • Rega IO
  • RPI 3 with Hifiberry DAC HAT
  • Beyerdynamic DT880
6 Likes

I estimate my CPU temp at 110 F (I donā€™t want to install an app for that)
The processeur charge is always less than 7%
The energie impact of Roon is around 10 and HPQ 6 (when upsampling to 24/96)

Thank you, for your help. I like to go into something with expectations.

Here is my first attempt at putting together a better sounding system using Roon. Iā€™ve been listening to it for about a month now and it sounds really good! My next step this fall is to measure the system with Room EQ Wizard and try tweaking the room response if it makes sense. Iā€™ve attached a block diagram showing components and connections.

All cables are from Blue Jeans Cables, and the system is controlled using an iPad for Roon and Ragnarok 2 remote control for the rest. I mostly listen to Qobuz and Tidal, but also have around 300 albums on the ROCK. So far the system works pretty flawlessly and Iā€™m very happy with it!

26 Likes

Nice, simple setup. Very clean.

All my audio support equipment and etc. is also out-of-the-way in the cellar.

Nice setup, and must be nice to have a basement or cellar. Not many of those in Texas, not sure why, clay soil, water table, cost, whatever. I do envy those that have that space.

Iā€™m 68 and I donā€™t think youā€™re 15 year goal is all that reasonable :wink:

10 Likes

Could be the best ā€˜Bang per Buckā€™ set-up I have seen on this forum (above starter systems) IMHOā€¦ Nice!

I have a pair of Focal Utopia Diablo IIIā€™s being powered by a PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premier HP (75 wpc in Pentode mode), which uses EL34 tubes. They are about 91 db and really kick ass with the EL34ā€™s . . .

2 Likes

@EnjoyTheMusic thank you for saying so. I wonā€™t pretend I didnā€™t have an eye on the budget. My partner suspects I like researching purchases more than I enjoy buying them.

1 Like

The room: high density living (sensitive neighbors), glass everywhere, marble floors, limited space, dust

The gear: Mac Mini '18 core, Moon Mind 2, Moon 230HAD (phones/pre-amp), 2xAtoll AM100 (mono block overkill), KEF LS50, Beyer DT770 (25 years old, still delivering - any recommendations for deep bass?), Fururtech, van den Hul etc iPad remote

14 Likes

Many years ago my audio dealer ā€˜let meā€™ demo a Goldmund amp. I could not believe how that amp simply took over my speakers. Blew my mind how much control it had, especially in the bass. It wasnā€™t at all analytical. It was musical and stunning.
No way I could afford it. But it was ā€˜one of those momentsā€™ in audio Iā€™ll never forget. Iā€™ll bet a whole system working in synergy is very special.

1 Like

I confirm, a Goldmund listening, we remember :slightly_smiling_face:, regardless of the element listened to (amp, preamp, DAC)
these electronics are generally considered to be fast, transparent, natural.
but extremely expensive, some of my items are bought second hand.

Soā€¦ new home, and a heavily revised setup! To say the least!

22 Likes

love that tube integrated, they should continue the ma2275, a shame it is history.
Why donā€™t you show some skin? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Part of me fears the damage if something landed on the valves. The other half of me doesnā€™t want to have To keep dusting the inside!

Amp and sources have now overtaken speakers but I wonā€™t be touching them for a while. 1) because I canā€™t afford to and 2)because I wonā€™t be living here forever and donā€™t wanna commit to speakers that may not work in next home

Hereā€™s some cheeky peeks for you though

9 Likes