Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Hi Cable-Folks, what I see is a mess. But it’s really not necessary. And it is not a question of money. You only need a hardware store, a bit of technical understanding and a little craftsmanship. This is my Stereo (Stereo Two). As you can easily see, everything is on or under an open lowboard. I discovered the broken plate and immediately knew that it would become my new lowboard. However, a challenge for a proper cable installation.

In sum, it’s about a lot of devices.

• BluRay 4k Player
  • 65 inches TV
  • Harddsik for multimedia-files
  • Wireless headphone
  • Hub for Harmony remote
  • Netgear switch
  • Cirrus7 Roon server
  • Integrated amplifier
  • DAC / Streamer 1
  • DAC / Streamer 2
  • DAC / headphone amplifier
  • Self-built media server

Each individual device thus requires connections and power supply. That’s a lot of cables. But do you see them? Hardly…

The secret behind it…

So you only need a cable duct, a reasonable power strip, a few brass dowels and a hammer drill. And of course, each cable is shortened to the required length. And if there are cables that can not be shortened, you can roll them up with a few cable ties.

Another example:

This is my old but still good stereo (Stereo One) in the living room. I’m still stuck on the rack that I designed, welded and painted myself about 20 years ago. Again, there are quite a few devices that need to be connected and powered.

• Turntable
  • Preamp
  • DAC / Streamer
  • CD player
  • Netgear switch with serveral network connections
  • Power supply for notebook
  • Power supply for lighting

As you can see, the preamp and the devices are on one side of the room, the power amp and the speakers on the other. And you can see any cable in spite of the open design or even speaker cables that run across the room?

The secret behind it…
A reasonable power strip, which is screwed to the rack.

In the cable duct which I’ve dangled on the ceiling of the basement runs the XLR connection between preamp and poweramt, also the toslink optical cable from the TV to the DAC.

Here you can see how the cables disappear in the wall.

And here they come out on the other side.

Granted, not a little work, but worth it. Everything done by myself and I am not an electrician.

Hmm… It seems like I have a different interpretation of it. Thats mine. Built after 40 years of hard work. But:

• My retreat, sanctuary, place of refuge
  • No entrance for anybody, even my wife has to ask befor going upstairs
  • My working place
  • Also sometimes eating or sleeping
  • My films
  • My pictures
  • My music
  • My volume

I can do what I want without having to justify myself in any way. That’s true freedom.

By the way: Helping to remove the old roof… Nothing in this world works by itself. But it was fun also :grinning:

Supplement (list of devices):

Stereo One (Living room)

• Turntable: Transrotor Iron
  • Preamp: Burmester 877
  • DAC / Streamer: PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge II
  • CD player: Sony CDP-X 779 ES with Swoboda 2+ modification
  • Poweramp: Burmester 911
  • Loudspeaker: T+A Criterion T230

Stereo Two (Attic)

• Roon Server Cirrus7 Nimbus V2 with Intel Core i7-8700T, M.2 SSD Samsung 960, SSD Crucial MX500 2TB, 8GB Ram
  • Amp: McIntosh MA9000 AC
  • DAC / Streamer: Linn Akurate DSM / III
  • Headphone amp: Naim DAC V1
  • Headphone: Sennheiser HD 800
  • Loudspeaker: B&W D800 DII
  • Aditional Roon endpoint: Raspberry & HiFiBerry DiGi+ Pro with RoPieee
35 Likes