Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

I am always a fan of keeping the music local for playback. :smiley:

2 Likes

That was a clue you should have kept the speakers instead of the swmbo. Congrats on the reunion.

1 Like

maybe she took the speakers!

2 Likes

i have recently replaced my SB Touch with a RaspberryPi/Ropiee setup (there’s a long story about why, probably better posted in a the networking/trouble shooting section of the board).

this is a secondary system, for headphone listening only. i’m astonished i can get this type of sound from a tiny box the size of a deck of cards, costing <$100.

4 Likes

What pi case is that?

flirc.

https://flirc.tv/

Sources

Oppo BDP-105D w/ModWright Tube/power supply/Truth/Bybee rail/region mods
MacBook Pro (2017 model, 16G of RAM running 10.14)
Mac Mini (late 2013, 8G of RAM running 10.13.6)

DAC

PS Audio DirectStream w/Bridge II

Preamplifiers

Zesto Andros 1.2 phono
Zesto Leto linestage (first generation)
PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter

Amplifier

Pass Labs X250.8

Speakers

Acoustic Zen Crescendo Mk II

Storage/Networking

Mac Mini (late 2013, 8G of RAM running 10.13.6 and Roon 1.6)
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 3TB FW800 hard drives
OWC Mercury 2TB FW800 hard drive
OWC Mercury 4TB Elite Pro mini Portable
G-Technology 4TB G-DRIVE mobile USB-C Portable Hard Drive
SanDisk 2TB Extreme Portable SSD
Apple Airport Extreme (2011)
Apple Airport Express (2013)
NETGEAR ProSAFE GS116NA 16-Port gigabit switch
NETGEAR ProSAFE GS108T 8-Port gigabit switch
NETGEAR ProSAFE GS105 5-Port gigabit switch

Interconnects/cables

JCAT Reference USB (Schiit Wyrd to DirectStream)
Wireworld Starlight USB
Cardas Clear USB (laptop to DirectStream)
Audience AU24 SE RCA (Andros to Leto)
Kimber Timber RCA (Leto to Cavalli Liquid Glass)
Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 HDMI (Oppo to DirectStream I2S)
WyWires Platinum XLR (Leto to Pass)
Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver XLR (Oppo to Leto, DirectStream to Leto)
Acoustic Zen Absolute speaker cables
JCAT Reference ethernet cable (Netgear switch to DirectStream)
Audioquest Cinnamon ethernet cables (Netgear to Oppo)

Software

Roon 1.6
JRiver MC 21 and 22
Decibel 1.3.5
Vinyl Studio 8.7.0
Audacity 2.0.5
Sound Studio 4.8.14
ONKYO HF Player 2.2.0 (iOS)
FLAC Player (iOS)

Power

Shunyata SR-Z1 AC outlet
PS Audio Power Port Classic outlet
Audience aR12-TSS-D conditioner w/dampening upgrade and Au24se Schuko power cord (preamps, sources)
Shunyata Hydra DPC-6 conditioner w/Shunyata Alpha HC power cord (DAC, Mac Mini, router, switch, hard drives, Schiit Wyrd)
Shunyata ZiTron Alpha Analog power cord (preamps)
Shunyata ZiTron Alpha Digital power cord (DAC)
PS Audio AC-3 power cord (transport)
PS Audio Noise Harvester

7 Likes

It’s a flirc indeed. Have the same one. It’s awesome.

While I’ve demo’ed quite a bit of gear for my head-fi setup the last few years and I’m plotting a major change in head-fi direction, I can always count on old faithful.

miniDSP USBStreamer (USB to TOSlink converter) -> Lifatec glass fiber cable -> Chord Hugo2 -> MrSpeakers Aeon Closed

I’m currently playing with Sonarworks True-Fi with my Aeon Closed (a new addition to Sonarworks measured headphones). I tried Sonarworks when it first came out and really didn’t like it with my Sennheiser HD800-S cans. There’s been a few years of updates and improvements I’ve read, so I’m giving it another listen now.

8 Likes

turntable?

Living room. Lenovo Q190 Windows 10 PC with roon remote/endpoint. (Got this for $199 several years ago when Microsoft was giving away Windows 8 to OEMs.) Tiny little Celeron CPU, plays fine but soon to be replaced by a Gen 8 i3 Lenovo M720 Tiny PC. Connected via toslink to Denon AVR-X3300W. Klipsch Quartet speakers (with Crites updates). Also for home theater mode, Klipsch SW-450 sub and Snell in-wall surrounds.

Recently built-out bonus room with budget/vintage audio and big-ass cheap LG TV (mainly for sports). Denon AVR-2805 (about 15 years old, salvaged from junk closet, has phono preamp!), Large Advent Loudspeakers (~50 years old, salvaged and restored after ~25 years in garage), AT-120USB turntable (replaced Technics SL-B3 turntable, also salvaged from garage after ~25 years, but couldn’t get it working, now sitting in the bottom of the cabinet). AT-120 Turntable used mainly to convert a bunch of old vinyl to digital for playback via roon. Salvaged Lenovo T430 notebook for roon playback and vinyl capture (using Vinyl Studio), connected to Denon via toslink using a StarTech “external soundcard” for USB to toslink conversion. Also a $100 Dayton Audio 10-100 Subwoofer for movie explosions.Speaker stands are $5 wooden storage crates from Lowes, painted black.

Roon core runs on an i5 Lenovo X1 tablet with Windows 10 (doubles as my desktop in the office). File server is an old Lenovo Precision tower PC running Windows 10 hidden under a desk. All wiring is CAT5 ethernet, wired when we built the house 15 years ago. Using gigabit routers and switches, too many to keep up with.

8 Likes

Perhaps with such a large HDTV you will be able to see that getting within 6" of Stephen Curry is grounds for a foul :wink:

3 Likes

Hilarious. Just as bad with Harden :grin:

The 7’s are remarkable speakers in every way.

Dad joke alert !
About 8 ?

4 Likes

Martin Logan Aerius i Speakers
Emotiva Power & Pre
Chromecast Audio for Roon
(Pro-Ject S2 coming soon)

17 Likes

Lovely! Congrats.

1 Like

VPI Signature Classic rosewood turntable w/stock tonearm and Clearaudio Talisman V2 Gold cartridge

1 Like

WARNING - OFF TOPIC!!!

Wait until next season when Zion Williamson figures out that he is untouchable - “The next Michael Jordan”

2 Likes

Nice - clean, simple and no nonsense.

1 Like