Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

How do you like your XD 60?I’ve had the the XD 200 for a few years and really like them, but I am thinking of of getting the XD 60(0).Have you done any comparisons between the 2 different models.Here in southern California they only have my monitor size in stock for demos.I’m feeding them with Berkeley Alpha USB convertor although the Schiit Audio store is 20 minutes from where I live.

I like them a lot. Before i had a pair of Contour S1.4 LE with a Rythmik E15HP subwoofer (with a NAD M12 and Hypex NCore power amps) and i can honestly say that the sound has improved a lot. The overall balance and soundstage is a lot better. This really is a full range speaker. It doesn’t have the power and pressure in the sub 30Hz like the Rythmik but it does get there with ease.

Because i didn’t want to lose to much in the low end i haven’t really compared them with the Focus 20 XD, but i have heard the entire Focus XD range (old and new). The dedicated midrange unit and sealed enclosure in the 60 really makes it stand out from the rest. The only speaker i have compared it with is the Kii Audio Three. And although i like them both a lot i prefer the sound of Dynaudio. The new (or updated) range is much better than the older models with the older firmware. As Dynaudio stated themselves they really had an eureka moment with the latest firmware. If you like the older model than you should really audition the updated Focus XD’s because they are a lot better now.

Thanks for the detailed response. As I posted, not a single store in the southern California area which is a huge land mass has the XD 60(0) in stock for auditioning.
My understanding in regards to the new firmware (which I installed the 1st day it was available) is that it is identical to the new Focus XD 20/30/60 line.The only differences are the new finishes they have added and there are no hardware changes at all.
So if I could get the XD 600 and install the new firmware it would be identical to XD 60

No problem. Here in the Netherlands the distances are a lot smaller and my dealer is only a few miles away. Their mindset is really towards active speakers.

As i understand there is no other difference between the models than the looks. When you update the firmware of a xd 600 then it should sound like the 60 xd.

Hi, here’s my setup with my new Arendal 1723 Tower speakers. Amplifier is Primare I22 and Bluesound Node 2 as a server. The loudspeakers are new and they are fantastic. Deep (they can reach to 20Hz) and very tight basses and huge power. High is very sweet and crisp. Very solid build, the cabinet is build in HDF and more than 2 inches thick. 112 lbs (51kg) each!

10 Likes

Thank you.
Very happy with my big and my little Audeze rigs, but we do keep eyeing other options, don’t we? I haven’t bought anything in a year.

Awesome man love the speakers but also the primare kit… love my primare!!!

1 Like

how many square meters are the 2x51kg serve?

45 square meters, without a problem.

Prompted by the appearance of Primare & cats, here’s my contribution. Still tweaking the sub, otherwise no equipment changes for two whole months. It was a very overcast day so the projector contributed sufficient illumination for a photograph.
The cat, Pip, knows his place (listening to Pink Floyd’s “Meddle”) :grin:

Meridian 218, DSP5200SL, Primare BD32 Bluray/CD player, Primare NP30, REL Gibraltar G2 Sub, Zen Server (Innuous),iMac (Roon core), Stax SR-507 Lambda, Stax SRM-006tII. Cat - Cholocate Burmese.

Additional Endpoints/kit:- Naim MuSo, MuSo QB, Windows PC, iPad Air 2, Synology 216+II Nas, Surface Pro 4, numerous ethernet switches, Devolo DLAN500 x4…great when it’s behaving but if the network drops :scream:

9 Likes

Thanks once more for the inspiration, I managed to find a cloche, Amazon UK, for a little over £50, a little woodworking on the base and it’s ready to go.

Paul :+1:

1 Like

Glad you liked my idea.

1 Like

@PixelPopper
Funny you should need a sub. Did you try to bring the DSP5200SL forward and in a bit?

Played with position for while (been in current position for a couple of months) but found that the extra 18Hz, and the enhancement to midrange made it worthwhile.
The benefits on cinema dynamics (ULF effects) are not really achievable with the DSP running solo.

what are your thoughts on the 218 vs the NP30?

On balanced I/O the NP30 offers neutral sound, excellent 3D positioning and very controlled, tight, bass. The 218 by comparison offers same basic situation although bass control (IMHO) is slightly lacking.
Digital & analogue I/O add so much variety that if forced to choose I would probably opt for the NP30 (but it is nearly 3 times the price of the 218) purely on flexibility.
NP30 is currently redundant until I can decide on my permanent configuration.
That said, I am still playing around with bass & am starting to think about going down the REW route.
I feel the 218 has more to offer than I am currently getting.

have you tried MQA via the 218?

Not tried MQA yet, although I’ve been contemplating it for a while. I figure that if I can sort out the bass to my liking then MQA could be the icing on the cake.
I’m heading off on “my hols” soon so will spend some time tweaking in November, in the meantime I shall be reading the REW posts…

1 Like

Here’s ours:

It’s not an optical illusion, it’s a really weird shaped room - the only parallel walls are the floor and the ceiling!

7 Likes

Not noticeably weird shape but, better for reducing standing waves (& the HF Radiators are well positioned :wink:) :+1:

1 Like