Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

I’m sure, albeit when I went to the lower wattage CPUs it went way down, and I basically never have more than 30% of those components powered up at any one time – so most are idling or even unplugged.

The reason it’s like that, other than it is a physical expression of how my brain works, is that I like to be able to plug anything into anything - i.e. I may be interested in hearing vinyl through a tube preamp and a SS power amp, or I may want digital through a SS preamp and tube power amp, or 5.1 for SACD/DVD-A. Either have separate rigs, or be able to reconfigure on the fly like Scotty in Star Trek!

1 Like

No, not at all, I have a platform for the OS and keep the other as the player and for reading the cd’s we buy into the HD.

So Nucleus as the Roon Core only, and the Innuos as a player / CD ripper?

The roon parts are a NUC, SoTM SMS-200 and a Chord 2qute.

6 Likes

Lovely and clean @ged_hickman1.

@ged_hickman1 is that a little SL-7 I spot there on top? I have one too…had it since new :smiley:

I think “clean” is overrated. Clearly given my setup. I had it clean once. Lasted about 36 hours until I had an idea about something or other…

It is indeed. This is my third one. Original 1981 from new deck went to a mate then I had a linn sondek for a while but sold it to pay for digital goodies. Then one that died and now this with an Ortofon omp30 cartridge. Such a neat thing and a great sound.
My floor is a bit bouncy so the Sondek was a pain in the arse, this doesn’t care!

On the digital front just went from a Pi and Allo DAC to the new pairing and the higher output of the 2qute certainly melds with the naim much better.

My main system consisting of Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 amplifier with RoomPerfect for the Lyngdorf DP1 dipole speaker and SDA 2175 amplifier for the Lyngdorf BW1 bass enclosure with Allo DigiOne as Roon endpoint and a Sonos ZP 90 Cullen Mod for family streaming and radio. Finally a AppleTV for streaming movies and TV.

The MacMini Roon Server lives in the server room as does the HP Micro Server for storing music and movies.

6 Likes

Always loved Maggies…I had a pair of the original Tympani 1-D’s…Just really lover female Vocals on those bad boys!!!

Love the look of your system!! Good Lord…23TB??? How can anyone actually listen to that much music? :flushed:

Cheers!

Thanks Larry! That 23TB also includes about 9000 tracks in video – for a long time I collected live concert videos and I split them into individual tracks, so we went all the way to DJing live concert videos with my friends for years and years. And about 500 concerts I never had time to break apart into individual songs.

Maggies are beautiful. You’re so right about female vocals. I was almost in tears listening to Dolores O’Riordan sing Zombie the other day.

Yes, thats it. My next issue is a DAC choice.Obviously the Hegel has a DAC, but Im doing a lot of reading and trying to narrow down my choice.

Nice… I have a Grado Black P-Mount on mine and optionally a BluePoint available when the mood takes me. Plus still have the original cart too. Hard to find good P-Mounts these days.

The main problem with the SL-7 is the rubber belt that drives the arm, other than that mine has just lived on and on…I even modified it at one point early in its life with a wired long cable remote just for fun.

Enjoy… I have several Tangiential tracking TT’s (one a sony thats a bit wonky) and my favourite a Lenco 75 based 25Kg slate plinth, PTP mount and Transfi-terminator pro air bearing arm with Clear audio spindle and platter.

It doesnt get much play time with Roon in the house but when I do get it running its rather special - blows people away when they see the arm floating back and forth :smiley:

3 Likes

Wow, that is a fantastic mix of mad and cool. Looks like a Steampunk deck.

1 Like

Nice Sal, was the Sony SACD Player stock or modified?

The SACD player was stock. The build on that unit was remarkable - heavier than my amp, if I remember correctly. And it sounded wonderful, especially playing back SACD. It was a bit frustrating to use, though, because the mechanism was very slow-moving. As I became accustomed to click-to-play, I found myself using the Sony less and less. I bought it second hand from a doctor in Manhattan and sold it later for the same price I had paid. Very happy with the way that worked out!

Just to show that not all my systems are so neat…

Roon to Android phone as endpoint then Bluetooth to dongle into a Cambridge A1. Speakers are Thiel in wall models that are going to go into the Castles to get them vertical.

3 posts were split to a new topic: The Chair - what are you listening in?

Upgraded my Hugo2 to a Dave at my office setup and added MrSpeakers Aeon Closed headphones (on the recommendation of Rob Watts) and couldn’t be happier.

For critical Roon listening, current chain is:

Macbook i7 Core > iPod Touch (6th Gen) endpoint > Dave DAC > MrSpeakers AEON Closed

For general listening (like when the iPod is flat, most of the time), it’s an el-cheapo USB-to-Toslink converter feeding the DAC.

No leakage current loops through the DAC, in either setup (for any John Swenson fans out there)

I’m done with upgrades, forever…

RoonShareImage-636605570599466270

7 Likes

You’re feeding this great DAC off an iPod touch? I can see an ultraRendu in your future – and then there’s PSU’s…

Good to see the stapler is still in your setup though. :smiley:

3 Likes