Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Yeah, I sold it on. It was a very nice box, but not a perfect match for my headphone. In the end I found myself using the DFR most of the time, even when in my listening spot.

The DFR is a maverick. I can hear where it falls short, but it makes for a very fun listen. Somewhere in the mix DFR/Aeon/Acoustic jazz/MQA it strikes a perfect balance – at least for me.

And it saves a lot of boxes. :smiley:

1 Like

Rene,

You could also eliminate the DDRC (I find that the unit must do a ADC then back to DAC to process the signal. You could eliminate that with Digital Room Correction that plugs right in the Roon! I got my DDRC-88A out of my Stereo circuit (though I still use it for movies and Multi-channel)…Gets rid of another Box and makes the Signal to noise even better, to say nothing of making your DFR more effective!!

No ADC here: the DDRC-22D takes S/PDIF coax in (up to 216kHz) from my MS200 streamer and outputs 96/24 S/PDIF coax out to my DSP speakers (which conveniently is the maximum they will take). The path is all within the digital domain.

I like Dirac – no Dirac in Roon as of yet – and the MiniDSP offers two extra inputs, so Cable/Netflix/BluRay/Apple TV and the Allo DigiOne I use to toy around with other audio sources (Spotify, Airplay, HQPlayer NAA, Audirvana over UPNP) are also room corrected.

I think it will be in my system for a while. :smiley:

Larry, what plugin do you use for this?

Hugo,

I use the one provided by HAF…a fine gent named Thierry will guide you though the process after you’ve used REW to chart your Room characteristics… https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com/english/home/

Cheers,
Larry

2 Likes

Wonderful, thanks Larry!

1 Like

I revived my °1978 Technics rack with a pair of Dali Opticon 8 speakers.
They come out of the showroom of a HiFi-shop and I got them at 50% off.

Originally I had a pair of Technics SB-7000 Linear Phase speakers. I still regret selling them.

From top to bottom: RS-1506 Tape Deck, ST-9600 Tuner, SU-8600 Amplifier, SL-1610 Turntable and RS-686D Portable Cassette Deck. The headphones are Pioneer Monitor 10’s.

16 Likes

47 Likes

looks like your office (building) system.

Hahaha, you are a legend Ged.

1 Like

In the 80’s I had also the SU-8600 amp and ST-9600 tuner. That where happy times! I had the Akai GX-630 tapedeck and Technics turntable and SB-9600 loudspeakers.

1 Like

Hey @xxx, did you make up your mind and purchase some Klipsch Heresy’s? If so, I’m curious what you think of them. Or did you make a different choice?

@RBM shared Phil Wright’s Darko review of the Heresy’s with me, somehow missed it. Interesting and surprising, wouldn’t expect a computer audiophile site to come to such a positive verdict. A nice read! :slight_smile:

1 Like

My current Roon system:
Roon server on a QNAP TS-251+ NAS (will eventually get a NUC).
Raspberry PI (with Ropieee image) driving a Project S2 digital DAC into a Yamaha A-S2100 integrated amp.
The AVR is a just a Yamaha RX-V781, TV is LG 55B7 OLED.

All AV gear (and Roon) is controlled by Logitech Harmony and Alexa (via Harmony) with Deep Harmony extension to control Roon.
(S2 was added after this photo taken, it sits behind the R-PI)
Rack is an DIY Ikea lack hack (cost about 25 quid)

Speakers/TV etc (On another DIY Ikea lack hack)
Speakers currently Yamaha NS-F350 main, NS-P350 surround and center pack and NS-SW300 sub with little Cambridge Audio Minx Min12 serving as front height speakers for Dolby Atmos.
Looking at KEF R series or Monitor Audio Silver later in the yea to replace these.

Lights - Philips Hue, also controlled from Harmony remote.

There is also a studio sound system:
KRK V6s2 active monitors + V12s2 sub, Pre-sonus central station monitor controller, RME-UFX ADC/DAC, 2xPioneer CD-1000Mk3, 2xTechnics SL1210M5G, Pioneer DJM-800. Also Virus TI Keyboard synth to right and various other bits in the racks under the decks.

Old picture from before the last re-org and re-decorating (when AV and HiFi racks were added) showing studio area. (HiFi Rack is now where the printer was and old shelving unit to left has gone).

14 Likes

Yes, that is the meeting room in our office.

1 Like

I bought a pair of GoldenEar Triton 5s, but the Heresys are still on my list for the living room. I’ve been straightening out my rooms one at a time, but next up the living room. Just takes time.:wink:

Meanwhile for any dedicated listening post I might construct I’ve been window shopping these -

Don’t know a lot about them and one can only buy then online, so it would be a gamble. Might look greater than they sound, if you know what I mean. Also, those 15" woofers might be lethal in a 14x9 room.

So many things as possible possessions.:laughing:

8 Likes

I’m severely impressed by the looks and size of these Stromtroopers, Slim! The way they look down on you, do they come with a hypnotizing mode? :wink:

Good luck with whatever decision you make and keep us posted!

1 Like

I hope that’s a 14x9 m not ft. :rofl:

1 Like

Nope, feet. Probably too much speaker, huh?

Due to the dipole radiation pattern of the woofers and the very directional horn projection, they could work better than you think in your small room :thinking:

1 Like

Personally, I would say: too little speaker! Too slim, Slim. In my unexperienced experience :slight_smile: Too much design, too little sound. But then again, I have never heard them :smiley: