Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Oh yes, I’m aware of that. My partner is keen on the idea but I really like my Sony DAC. One advantage of Devialet would be the SAM system which will work with my Harbeth speakers. I tried it with them a couple of years ago and it was pretty amazing how much it improved the Harbeths. Back then I just plugged my Nagra CD transport into the Devialet, this time it’ll be the Nucleus. Nice simple setup.

SAM doesn‘t do much with my ATCs, need to check that I have it on in my system. What Harbeth do you have? I heard the Monitor 30.1 at a local desler‘s and they sounded really nice, although they weren‘t connected to a Devialet

The Devialet DAC is so transparent that, if you like the sound of your Sony DAC, or whatever, the Devialet will pass that good sound through to your speakers.

I have the P3ESR. The SAM system really extends the bass and spaciousness of the sound. I tried it with the Devialet 120 at a dealers. Also briefly tried the SuperHL5+ which was good too.

I’m sure it would be good like that but I’d rather not pay for 2 DACs in one system.

What are these stands? looks great for ATC, might get the same ones

No, me neither, but it is a workaround for someone who wants the Devialet experience with their preferred DAC.

Never heard the P3ESRs, but supposedly they are very good! I talked for quite a while with the local Harbeth dealer and for the size of out living room je suggests the 30.1 Monitor. They sounded really good and I am tempted to have a go with them at my place. Yet, I am torn between the Harbeths and the upgrade. Don‘t we live in a world of luxury :grin:?

I had them custom-made at a metal shop. I love them, but my wife loathes them. She urges me to get another pair. I try to delay that as much as I can, but the WAF is fierce :grin:. It also was a factor to switch to Devialet, as she very much likes this minimalistic shiny metal box. She seems to be rather an ‚optical‘ audiophile. Luckily enough, the Devialet sounds really, really good!

1 Like

Interesting. I have to say, I really think the Harbeths will produce a bigger overall improvement than adding the next biggest Devialet would. Perhaps the benefitd of SAM are room dependent if you didn’t hear much with your ATC speakers? The dealer where I heard Harbeth/Devialet did have an excellent demo room.

The main things that put me off going to Devialet are 1) I have a large library of DSD files (SACD rips and Downloads) which I’d like to play without PCM decimation, and 2) I always see lots of reports of problems with their software. However, the sound with Harbeth and SAM was pretty much the best I’ve ever heard, so it’s a tough one.

I really need something stable, so metal one sounds great. I have a small baby and i need something that he cannot turn over, and those speakers are heavy! maybe i shouldn’t use stands at all until he grows…

I must say that our living room is not used acoustically in a proper way, for example, they cannot be placed to fire down the length of the living room as we have a large glass front with doors to open. I did do lots of experimenting in speaker placement and that‘s the best I can come up with. They sound a bit bass shy at this position. This could be the reason that SAM is not so effective.

With regards to software problems, it took me a while to figure out things. In the end, replacing my Airport Extremes with Netgear‘s Orbi router/satellites made streaming flawless. One does need a bit of computer adjustment to get the Devialet working smoothly with Roon, but now that I am there, the system works like a charm.

Yes, I admit, DSD is a deal breaker, for sure.

I appreciate your comment regarding speaker replacement. I might just as well contact the Harbeth people here :blush:.

Even with heavy stands like mine, the speakers might topple over with enough a push from an active child crawling around. So wall mounting might be an option. But that involves heavy drilling and all that. Or being patient and wait till the baby grows up?

Or providing good justification for buying new tower speakers :slight_smile:

I just like this old Harbeth/ATC design. I grew up with those old BBC speakers. For me, this is how speakers should look like. I am hopelessly retro :grin:.

Naim is the better value-for-money proposition.

Use strip of blu-tack between speaker and stand.

I’ve currently have the 30.1s and used to have a pair of the P3s. Both speakers very much sound the same with the P3s being slightly limited by their size. In my current small room i actually preferred them.

Granted your current speakers are pretty damn good as well. If i were you i may be tempted to buy a couple of subs, if they would fit into your system, rather than upgrading.

Also, i very much agree with you on the looks. If you do go with a pair of Harbeths there is nothing better imo, than those in Rosewood.

Thanks for hinting me to subwoofers! However, I couldn’t possibly place them reasonably well, so that’s not an option for me.

And yes the Harbeths in rosewood are just breathtaking! I like them very much!

Went from Focal 706vs to Harbeth 30.1s and never looked back. Added dual HSU ULS15 MK2 subs. My 30.2s are being delivered tomorrow. Looking forward!

AQVOX SE network switch > Fidelizer Nimitra S > Modwright tube modded OPPO Sonica DAC

PS Audio BHK 300s
Audible Illusions L3A linestage
Bryston BHA1 Headamp
Sennheiser HD800s