Signal path question - 96/24 stream converted to 96/32 by PEQ filter

I’d appreciate some extra eyes on my signal path to confirm that I’m seeing what I should bee seeing. If there’s a better way to do what I’m doing, I’d also appreciate learning about it.

The hearing in my right ear is a bit worse than the hearing in my left. I’m using a a volume PEQ filter to reduce the left channel a bit to compensate. That filter is pictured below.

The source is 96/24 in this case. When all is said and done, it’s 96/32.

In the signal path, I see the PEQ filter applied and, even though it doesn’t explicitly show a conversion to 64-bit float, I assume it’s implied. After the filter, the signal is converted to 32-bit.

So two questions:

• Is this the best way to adjust the volume for a single channel?

• It is expected that the resulting stream is 96/32 instead of 96/24?

Appreciate any input. Thanks!

Your device’s setup determines the final bit depth after any DSP operation, so that’s fine.
Set it to 24 bit if you prefer that.

True.
Guess, it’s been overlooked by the developers.

There are other methods to do what you want, like “Speaker setup” but the result is always the same - no consequence regarding sound quality, if that’s what you’re wondering.

1 Like

Got it. Thanks! Makes sense that if transforms happen in 64-bit float space, might as well consistently convert down to the max bits for the device.

Appreciate the response!

1 Like

Hmm never seen it not add the 64bit conversion step before after the source. Will have to check the same path as you and see.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.