Since December 1st 2023 "Live Radio" VRT Radio stations cannot been played anymore

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I’d like to reopen this issue, apparently it was ‘solved’ by Connor after 36 hours (a little be short in the holiday season, isn’t it?). However, this issue was NOT solved by changing the DNS server addresses in my router! I’ve still got the same issue: Links from “Live Radio” which are redirected to another address (such as VRT Radio 1, VRT Klara Continuo, WDR3, BR Klassik) , after some time are returned with a message “Unable to play this station…”. When I copy the same link into a browser (Google Chrome), I get immediately the audio of this station, with a redirected URL! When I copy the redirected URL (from the browser) into a new radiostation within My Live Radio, it works also, but without any other metadata (Icon, …).
As your colleague suggested, I’ve changed the DNS entries of my router to the Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 but this didn’t helped either.
When I observe the actual logging file (/var/roon/RoonServer/Logs) I see that the roonserver tries first with the aac-link then the high mp3 link and the mid mp3 link (as indicated in the Live Radio section of the station).
I’m able to deliver an excerpt from the Roonserver log file trying to initiate a Live Radio Station WITH redirection (not working) and the same test with the redirected link (working)…

My environment: a Coax Router from Orange (orange.be) which is configured in Bridge-Mode to a Fritz!Box 7590. The configuration WAS working until December 1st 2023!!! The roonserver is IMMEDIATELY connected to the router (no wifi). I’ve changed already the Fritzbox by an Apple Router but the problem remained, so the issue cannot be the router. I’ve some problems to understand why the initial link from “Live Radio” IS working in Google Chrome but not in Roon! What’s the difference, apart from the audio quality (the reason why I decided to take a Roon Life License!!!)? Please, explain!

Hi Marc,
Also located in Belgium and also using Telenet as internetprovider.
No issues what so ever to play VRT-radio streams. So it is not a gloval Roon-issue, but rather an issue at you location / network.
Have you already rebooted:

• your Roon-server
  • your Cisco-Router
  • your Telenet-modem
    Kind regrads, Frank.

Of course, I rebooted all components already (multiple times)!
My questions are:

1. This problem occurs as from December 1st, before that day, in the same environment, everything was working properly. Why?
  2. I understand your reaction that it has to be a network issue but: Why the Google Chrome browser can handle the link (e.g.: http://icecast.vrtcdn.be/klaracontinuo.aac) and Roon not? The non-redirected links (e.g BBC 3) are OK. Does Roon use other protocols/ports, which might be blocked by my ISP or my router?
    Please, explain it to me.
    FYI: I do not have a Telenet modem (Orange TCG300) and no Cisco Router (Fritz!Box 7590)

Hi Marc,
I am not able to explain the issues you encounter. I was only trying to help you with some basic test to get your issues solved.
Good luck with it, Frank.

You wonder whether redirected links may be a problem. Well, many stations use redirection, and Roon deals with these ok. Can you try
Play Nostalgie
as this, with re-direction, may be a new station to your DNS server.

I don’t believe so.

@BrianW : yes, this one is working and yes this a redirected link.

BUT: this brought me to an idea. Your colleague asked me to change the DNS Server within the Router. What I did now is changing explicitly the DNS-Servers within the Roon Server machine (to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) AND this solved the problem.
At this moment it’s not 100% clear to me what happened here (why this has suddenly changed since 1/12/2023?).

Anyway thanks to everybody!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.