Size of partition for ROCK

I found out the hard way that you cannot store the music in ROCK/Data/Storage
I don’t want my files to be deleted again!

How big a drive do I need to create to accommodate an installation of ROCK?
Is it enough to have one partition for ROCK?
Is there help to partition the hard drive in the ROCK installation instructions?

On this page it says …

“128GB or larger M.2 SSD that is compatible with your NUC model”

Is this 128GB used for RoonOS and ROCK or something else? How big a drive can be needed as a maximum?

Which file format should I choose when partitioning the hard drive?

The ROCK installer does not know about or respect existing partitions. If you want to store music files on a ROCK/NUC system then you must use a separate 2.5" internal drive and/or USB drives.

A separate internal drive is located at \\ROCK\Data\Storage\Internal Storage and USB drives located in a subfolder under \\ROCK\Data\Storage. For example:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:
I have understood this as the audio files I have on my 5TB hard drive were not deleted. I have a 4TB SSD that I want to use both for the Roon ROCK installation and for storing music. Is it the case that if I create two partitions on this SSD, Roon ROCK will remove those partitions and then install Roon ROCK?
How big a hard drive does Roon ROCK need at most?

Yes - that’s what I said.

As @Geoff_Coupe has said, it is not possible to use ROCK to set up a Roon OS Roon server in a partition on a hard disk. ROCK will use the whole of the disk/SSD that is installed upon without making any space available for media files.

Again as Geoff said in his first post, ROCK can install Roon OS on a very small SSD. Depending upon the size of the database that you are going to end up with, 128GBytes may well be adaquate. 256GByte is definitely adaquate.

On the other hand, if you buy an SSD a little bit bigger than you require (say 512GByte), it will improve the longevity of the SSD because there will be more free space for the SSD wear levelling to utilise. However, Going significantly bigger than you need does not achieve anything except an emptier wallet.

[SOLVED] Thanks now I know the prerequisites for ROCK. I took out the 4TB SSD that I have ROCK installed on and looked at the partitioning. There were four partitions and the largest partition (3.61TB) had data so I couldn’t change the partitioning to free up space. I guess there is some reason for this. Thanks for the help with this :heart_eyes_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.