Slow back up speeds with internal SSD drive

Is the USB drive using a USB 3 interface and USB 3 cable? If not it could just be USB 2 speed limitations.

1 Like

This is pretty strange. Did you have any problems copying music to that SSD after you installed it? Network reads/writes to internal storage should be pretty quick with Roon OS. Keep making changes to how the NUC is connected to the network (different cable, switch port, switch, etc.) and keep us posted. Iā€™m curious.

1 Like

Thanks. Itā€™s an internal SSD as well as any connected by front or back USB interfaces on NUC.

Iā€™ve discovered how to do backup to readyNAS using the method you described.

Unfortunately, they are just as slow as copying using the laptop.

The cable?

1 Like

Cat 7 ethernet

I mean the USB cable to the drive from the USB 3 port on the device.

1 Like

Itā€™s slow whether copying to or from the internal SSD and USB drive. Also making back ups direct to readyNAS

Iā€™ll try different cables, switch, etc. tomorrow and post the results.

Thanks, everyone for all the suggestions.

There is a buton for this in on Roon OS web-based administration tool.

1 Like

Somethingā€™s wrong then. It not going to be as quick as a simple copy as normally backup on Nas does some validation that the data is correct which has some overhead but itā€™s not super slow. How much data are you backing up and how are you judging this speed ? Smb isnā€™t the most speediest of protocols compared to NFS and which version it uses is dependant on the hardware your using,. The first backup via a nas will be longer as it will be checking all files on disc compare to destination after the first ones complete it will be a lot quicker as itā€™s just increments whatā€™s changed. But it doe sound like something else is at play here.

1 Like

Hi.

Iā€™ve got to the bottom of the problem. Thereā€™s absolutely nothing wrong with the ROCK NUC.

The culprit is the Cat 7 ethernet cable pre-installed throughout the house. If I take the NUC into the garage where the router, distribution unit, 30 port gigabit switch and NAS are located, everything speeds up.

This also explains why weā€™ve been having problems with the second Sky Q box in the kitchen.

Many thanks for all the suggestion which helped me solve the issue.

Regards, John

2 Likes

But, thereā€™s a snag. When the NUC is located in the garage, I get drop outs causing gaps in the playback.

The workaround is to place the NUC in the lounge where the path to the endpoint is short. When I want back up, Iā€™ll move it to the garage where paths to back up drives and my laptop can be short. Not ideal, but I can live with it. Unless I find a way to run a fibre optic link between the garage and lounge without too much disruption. Hopefully, that would solve my Sky Q Mini Box problem, too.

You could attach a new cable to the defective one and just pull it (assuming itā€™s a single run and thereā€™s no weird stuff in the middle).

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.