Software to run on NUC as endpoint

I know the preferred Endpoint option is using a Raspberry Pi which I am running in one zone but I have an extra NUC sitting around that I bought cheap and might as well use it. What would be the best ROON sotware to run on it? ROCK, ROON Bridge or other? Would ROCK be the best option as it would probably use less power and be able to be controlled by a UI… and if it powers off unexpectedly all I would need to do is press the power button to get it up and running again (I was running a NUC with ROON before in a spot that was hard to get to and every time it would shut down I had to restart by connecting a mouse to restart ROON and it was a pain) The only issue with installing ROCK is I would lose Windows capability and it would only serve as a ROON unit.

ROCK is the best option IMO. You don’t need to log into it, it should just present itself as an available endpoint to be enabled in the usual way.

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking. The only caveat is that I heard that ROCK only works wired via Ethernet and doesn’t have Wifi capabilities. Is this true? I might not have a wire connection in the location.

It is true.

I agree. I run a Rpi 3 with a Hifi Berry Hat and it works great but Rpi’s have gotten alot more expensive. I can pickup a used NUC for $80.

You could try bog standard Windows , install the normal Roon (UI) download and point it at your core as it starts up.

I assume your secondhand NUC has some OS installed

Install Diet Pi (free) on the NUC, and then Roon bridge… Done

Or you could install Ubuntu (also free) and Roon bridge.

Both solutions will provide wifi.

1 Like

You can instal dietpi or Volumio on the nuc and then install Roon bridge. I now use Volumio on my old NuC as it supports wireless where Rock didn’t. Works really well and solid. I also get the advantage of the other features of Volumio as well.