Soloists in Concertos

I’d like to bring up again a shortcoming that makes Roon less usable. It has been well described by Jez in the following post, which I just quote:

grafik

Isn’t that just a question of adding the “featured artist” credit for the soloist, which I suppose exists for Kyung-Wha Chung? Or is it there but not shown?

Here is how I achieve what I think you might want:

These are track properties rather than album properties because sometimes an album may have different performers for different compositions (for example, the Bruch that is also on the Chung disc is with the Royal Phil not the Montreal).

Soloist - Primary Artist
Orchestra - Orchestra
Conductor - Conductor

If the orchestra is marked as primary artist by roon’s metadata thing, I remove that; I also find that the metadataer will somethimes combine the soloist and orchestra as primary artist; that goes out too. I do this for all concertos (except those concertos for orchestra). I don’t think it is possible to modify the left to right ordering of the columns, but it would be nice to have the “:Featuring” column at the very left of the display.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. It’s often difficult to understand the inner workings of Roon.

Suedkiez comment prompted me to try Featured Artist instead of Primary Artost and that works just as well. I also found that using the role Soloist instead of Primary Artist also works fine. I started using Primary Artist so will stick with that. I also use it for the “added player” when a string quartet plays a string/piano quintet.

Using Soloist would seem inappropriate here which is why i started using Primary Artist but I think I would use Featured Artist if I were starting again. Note that roon leaves a blank column if there is no Conductor (as there would not be for a string quartet) but doesn’t leave a blank column if there is no Primary/Featrured Artist/Soloist.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.