SOLVED: Is USB audio quality resolved with the Raspberry Pi 4? i.e. No need for SPDIF Output HAT's

The subwoofer must be working properly then!! :rofl: Apollo 11 sounds awesome!
I recently added a Sonos sub to the older Playbar in our lounge. The other half started to complain about “the big square polo mint” by the side of the TV and then she heard the sound… strangely it got to stay.

We’ve been at the house over 15 years and I’d always been away working. Now I am based here, it made sense to convert it from a garden shed/store to something far better. It’s taken a lot of work and much sacrifice to afford this - but it was an end goal… nearly all the kit inside it is second hand, but it’s all quality stuff.
Since I stopped playing (tendon issues in my hands) I have done far more recording and mixing - mostly for soundtracks but also the occasional musician. I’m passable at it, but now I am aiming to spend far more time listening rather than creating.

Even wound up to 75dB - my normal absolute maximum - you can barely hear anything when stood outside…
Nearest neighbour is over 75 metres away anyhow.

There is NO error correction on USB Audio Class 1 or Class 2. Only error detection, but if a packet of audio data indeed does get corrupted then the driver can possibly see it but not do anything about it.

Noise on the USB power can influence the timely detection of 0’s and 1’s on the receiving end. This could in the worst case create jitter.

1 Like

OK, thank you. I stand corrected. :blush:

Has anyone measured the noise of Rpi4 stock PSU and these audiophile PSUs?

An other interesting ine would be if anyone has measured the Rpi4 with these three versions of operating systems Ropiee, DietPi and the third that was mentioned in this thread.

Yes, I’m familiar with Archimago - he’s done some great research. I don’t always agree with his conclusions, but I am very supportive of anyone who is prepared to spend the time to really question and practically and empirically examine…

2 Likes

I have done my own measurements using an old oscilloscope - looking for noise on both the 5vDC and the ground line of the standard Pi switched mode wall plug (£8) and an iFi switched mode (£49) 5v unit.
I’d class the standard supply as electrically quite noisy - on both supply and ground. It’s fine for most purposes but there is clearly some HF signal leaking to the supply and the ground line.
On my own system using an RPi 4 straight into USB the resolution sounded slightly muffled and less positionally resolved - in comparison to the iFi - which costs c.6 times the price.
There was a difference because I could pick out the supply type every time in some blind tests (thanks to a patient neighbour who played quizmaster for a couple of afternoons before Covid).
As discussed here previously, the iFi isn’t at all perfect (spend more on a linear supply if that worries you) but to me - it appears to deliver reasonable performance for the money.
I now have two of them - so they must work well enough for me in the setups where they’re used here - else I wouldn’t have spent another £50. I might later swap them out for linear supplies when I next build some - but right now, relative performance, convenience and ease of use wins.
Hope that helps.
Oh - and find Hans Beekhuyzen on YouTube. He did some far better comparisons - some time ago.

1 Like

Hi Kristian,

Apparently Diet PI runs less processes than Ropieee. Whether this translates to better sound I’m not sure. I have been happy with Ropieee and its stability, so I haven’t tried alternatives.

Another worth trying is:
http://www.thunder-data.com/vitos-for-rpi4
Apparently this is a step up.

The best part, is they are all free to try.

David have you tried VitOS or Diet Pi?

Good information.
I wonder what mileage the Ian Canada Super Capacitor conditioner will provide.

Nope. I read up and looked at using DietPi, but for me the ease of use, support and auto updating of Ropieee seemed a lot less hassle than anything else…
As for the claims re. Latency - that’s interesting because I’d not even considered that as a “thing”. I guess I am still learning.
I was thinking that there’s a degree of read-ahead in the endpoint which negates the benefit of that - but to be perfectly frank, I haven’t got into how exactly the data is transferred… I’ve always been more more interested in what happens when it gets to the DAC…
One to read about at some point one dark winter night…

One thing to consider is VitOS, is provided free of charge by Silent Angel a Chinese software company.
They make bold claims, that there OS sounds better:

VitOS is a customized Linux based operating system designed for music server and player. Optimizations in the kernel and system are done by Silent Angel engineers and make it possible to enhance the performance of network I/O, USB I/O, task manager, …, and so on. As a result, running Roon Bridge and other music player application on VitOS has better sound quality than other OS.

Any clue or confidence that your not building in Chinese spyware and malware? Sure sounds fishy to me, tell me I’m wrong please as it sounds nice.

3 Likes

That was my primary concern.

sorry if I missed some of the previous posts, I didn’t mean to repeat what you may have said. That just stood out, but it also sounds like ROCK where it is optimized for Music playback, I’d stick with the well recognize and supported Roon ROCK solution.

I have the Allo Shanti LPS … measures well and has 2 outputs. I could not hear the differance between the Shanti and a TeraDak X2 (cheaper)… which I then stripped down and put it in a one of my streamers.

1 Like

Now there is a happy place … Very nice.

1 Like

I think I’ll stick with the Roon Core - running on my Innuos Zenith SE and with the music files on the internal SSD and mirrored to two other locations - a NAS and a portable LaCie HDD.
Ropieee works REALLY well, and is so easy to set up - I can’t think of using much else.
I fail to see how the sound can be improved by changing the OS - and nor would I risk that using an unknown and unverified software provider from China…
I’ll let a few others take that risk and report!! :slight_smile:

Which one do prefer workmanship and quality wise - the Shanti or Teradak?

What’s it for Kristian? RPI4?
If it is, I would check out Ian Canada’s options. Plenty written on the DIY forum regarding his devices.

IC has a number of super capacitor filters, allowing either SMPS or LPS to be used. He also has quality linear power supply boards, and LiPo options made specifically for RPI.

LPS

Super cap Conditioner

IC products

Alternatively, Teradk is an excellent low cost option.
I have used the small 1amp 5vdc Teradak, and would recommend.

Yes, Rpi4 running RopieeeXL. I am able to use a screwdriver, but that is about it. So, I am looking for a solution that is “packaged”. I was able to build the RopieeeXL with the Rpi4 and a third party case, though. No soldering please. :smiley:

1 Like

I got the conditioner for mine.
Provides good measurements and filtering.
Allows either battery, LPS or SMPS connection.

Maybe start there and then upgrade power supply next.

You only need basic soldering skills for the capacitor install onto the board.

1 Like