Some albums never appear when stored on SMB

Thanks for your replies :slight_smile:

Where? The Roon VM (that probably doesn’t need that much)? The TrueNAS VM (that definitely needs that much better more for 31+k tracks)? The host OS (I’m not sure here how your setup actually works together, who’s in control of the storage and so on)? But anyway, inotify is only used for the auto-detection of new files. A manual rescan of the watched folder in Roon should always detect all files. If nothing shows up in skipped files, the albums aren’t imported and nothing shows in the `RoonSever_Log.txt, this tells me that the Roon server can’t see the newly added files in the configured storage location(s) for whatever reason.

While maybe another Roon user with experience in ESXi, TrueNAS and virtualization in general may read this and be able to offer you some real help, you are probably better served seeking help on forums specialized in these topics. Even if it may not be of much help, I add the standard Roon guides below:

For anyone following who’d like to know my resolution, I discovered that having everything stored in an S3-style bucket allowed the metadata to be read in such a way that all albums are loaded. I initially played around with minio storing it on the locally mounted SMB share, and mounting minio via S3FS, but this just seemed to be double handling everything (and causing excessive CPU usage because of it) and just felt a bit “janky”. Also tested out with some cloud based object storage providers + S3FS (and performance was acceptable). In the end settled on:

1. TrueNAS provides Minio OOTB with direct access to storage - this bypasses SMB layer entirely. I set up a bucket here
  2. I user rclone to mount this bucket on the roon server (best performance vs. S3FS I found, and offers caching option if needed)
  3. I point roon to this locally mounted folder

Everything now works as expected, even if it’s very non-supported officially (I achieve my goals though!)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.