sonicTransporter i7 with HQP Embedded - DSD512 to a micro/ultraRendu

Hi Andrew

The system is:

sonicT i7 + separate NUC ROCK i7 → NetGear GS108 (John Swenson recommended) → 30 meters BJC Cat 6 ethernet to listening room → NetGear GS108 → ultraRendu + Uptone LPS-1 → Pro-Ject S2 DAC (same Jussi has) + Uptone LPS-1

Initially I had the sonicT i7 running both RoonServer and HQP Embedded but this weekend when visiting the old man, I setup RoonServer on ROCK NUC i7, to separate RoonServer from HQP Embedded on the one machine - to minimise CPU usage on the sonicT i7 to a minimum.

But there were still pops at DSD512. The attached file is the song that shows pops in the first 40 seconds. For testing with pops at DSD512 I test the ASDM7 modulator with poly-sinc-short-mp-2s

Connection speed tests between switches is ~880mpbs, so pretty close to the gigabit ratings of the switches and BJC Cat 6 ethernet cable.

I then brought the sonicT i7 from the home study/office, into the listening room to connect it via USB directly to the Pro-Ject S2 DAC. This would by-pass the network switches after HQP Embedded and by-pass the ultraRendu/NAA completely. But even with choosing ALSA audio backend, I was unable to play DSD to the DAC. It would revert to PCM every time.

Has the sonicTransporter got the same Pro-Ject S2 DAC drivers as the ultraRendu? We don’t want the sonicT i7 in the listening room anyway but just for this test, I was unable to test at DSD at any sample rate.

I have also tried adjusted headroom with HQP Embedded, even down to -30dB. Still pops at DSD512. We’re only trying to get the 2s variants working at DSD512.

Roon DSD512 up-sampling has been working pop free for 6 months.

There is another user having issues with HQP DSD512 and an ultraRendu in the chain - I wonder if that’s the common thing?

Thanks, Sean.

RoonShareImage-636619766248317940