sonicTransporter supplied with internal SSD storage

Hi guys

Anybody using a sonicT i5 or i7, with the internal SSD’s inside? So it’s basically acting completely as a NAS with Roon Server running on it.

I’m looking to replace my NAS with this silent/fanless option.

With very minimal processes running (compared to a Mac/PC/laptop and even a NAS) it looks to be a great solution to replace a computer running Roon Core, whilst also storing your entire library (provided up to 4TB is enough for your library of course).

Just after some feedback from current users

Are there any disadvantages (sound quality) with having Roon Server and the music files on the same SSD volume?

Is it better to have the sonicT i5 or i7 separate from a NAS, rather than combining the two the way the sonicT can be supplied with internal SSD storage?

I can’t think of any stand-out disadvantages/performance impacts but just wanted to ask for other’s inputs

I have a microRendu also.

Cheers!

Cost might be one consideration depending on your library size, and the other might be many people run their NAS as storage for other things so that might be deal killer for some too.

Hi Paul, yes fair points indeed.

I should have been a bit clear (my fault). I already have my NAS with 2x 2TB SSD’s (Qnap 251+) running Roon Server. I’m looking to replace my NAS running Roon Server, completely with the sonicT i5 with probably 4TB internal SSD storage.

Just wanted feedback from any others that have purchased the sonicT i5 or i7 with the internal SSD supplied.

Very good point about other uses for the NAS, other than just music though. Certainly a major factor.

I might suggest backup your music to a big 4tb external, and redeploy the SSD’s to the SonicT if that’s an option, certainly the sonic T would outperform the NAS but if the Sonic T has to be ordered with the inbuilt SSD’s already then I guess it’s going to be a tad more expensive…just hope your library doesn’t grow too much :flushed:

I have the ST i5. 80k tracks on USB connected 4Tb drive. Roon Server is on the supplied internal SSD

UI is Quicker (and sounds better …I know) than my other Roon Core Server running on Windows 10 Pro with 36TB of Raid 6 disk (also used to stream movies my movies with Plex).

From my experience I wouldn’t bother with expensive internal SSD when USB 3 is more than fast enough. I have a lot of ripped DSD that plays just fine with Roon to my microRendus and directly to a number of Roon Ready DACs via Ethernet.

I’m considering a similar setup but I have a couple of concerns. As things stand now in order to run a backup you have to shut down Roon server. Could you then backup an internal SSD with the server shut down? Also, when Roon releases their own OS how difficult would it be to replace the OS on the ST with the Roon OS should you decide to do so?

Hi Richard, I have a similar size library of 70k tracks. This is great news that the USB3.0 drive plugged into the sonicT i5 works flawlessly. Something I will definitely consider.

The sonicTransporter shares the drive on the network so you can just copy files for a back up that way. What would be the reason to replace one Linux operating system for another when Roon releases their OS?

May be no reason but I won’t really know until it’s released I guess. Probably a dumb question but how would I shut Roon server down without shutting the storage SSD down when it’s internal to the ST?

The server is just one application running on the unit.

Hi Jesus, Can SSD’s be installed in the sonicT i5 by the end user? If so, how many SSD’s slots are available?

You can’t install drives on the base unit. If you want onboard storage you need to the SonicTransporter AP.

Oh I thought the sonicT i5 does have the option for onboard storage though, on the SGC website?

Unless you mean onboard storage can’t be installed by the end user?

You can’t install additional storage you have to order it that way.

ok thanks for clarifying