Sonos app doesn't show HD or Hires tag when playing through Roon

This question might be better answered in the Sonos forums but people around here seem pretty informed so maybe someone knows…

When I’m playing hi res or cd quality files direct from my NAS through the Sonos app, there’s a logo in the sonos app saying “HD” or “Hi Res”.

When playing Lossless cd quality or hi res via Roon, I don’t get that logo in the Sonos app despite it being direct play…

Just curious why that’s the case? It’s not a problem just want to learn about the quirks of the systems talking to each other and set my expectations… no album art or song names in Sonos app either but I’m ok with that

Every system has its limitations – sometimes hard technological, other times soft ideological. It seems unlikely to me, that either company may share any exact details, so “Why?” questions may resume unanswered.

grafik

1 Like

Hi Shawn I do not believe that Roon uses the Sonos API. I think that they created their own streaming solution, which is also I believe why Sonos does not have the media information and artwork etc.

I have a fair bit of Sonos equipment and personally I stream almost all of it at 16/44 as I have found it to be more reliable and also I have never heard any improvement in SQ by going an higher

1 Like

Yeah I try to keep my library in general down to 16/44 for compatibility reasons and not having enough of a system to resolve above that

1 Like

Do you know if you Airplay 2 a 16bit 44.1Khz Flac to Sonos S2 if Airplay is doing anything to the “signal”?
It shows as “high quality” and not lossless because Airplay 2 is a bit of black box I guess…

Airlpay can resample material to maintain clock sync with device with the DAC and some devices such as Apple TV resample all content under the hood to 48/24 so Roon has deemed it not lossless for these reasons . In most cases it is though, don’t worry about it.

1 Like

Shawn pretty much what @CrystalGipsy said.
If you have auto level of volume on as well this will happen.

I would generally not worry about it as long as you are enjoying the sound of your music.

1 Like